Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TomF

Peerless geared transmission repair

TomF
We have replaced the worn-out shifter keys in a Peerless (Tecumseh) 800-series transmission. With everything back together and on the tractor, the tranny seems to be sticky when coming out of gear into neutral. We'll shift into neutral but still somehow seem to be in gear. Any idea how we can cure this problem? Thanks very much!

EDS
Tom, There is a good manual available; TECUMSEH / Peerless Motiom Drive Systems,Transmissions / Transaxles / Differentials / Right Angle Drives 740045. The bar code says 3004600112. I have an 840A and an 829A from a Wheel Horse 111.

Al
Hi, Are you sure you have the correct part # keys. There are several part # and lengths, depending on the spec of the transmissions. Also do you have the washers between the gears with the bevel on the inside the right way and the gears with the recess in the right way. Couple of thoughts, they are free, value accordingly. Al Eden

mowerman1193
Hi Tom, I'm with Al about the shift keys as there is alot of different part numbers for those...I would pull it apart and recheck to be sure the gears and spacers are in the correct positions..If they are right then check the shift keys... Do you have the Tecumseh/Peerless manual mentioned above???I have it and can copy the 800 series section for you and either bring it to you or email it to you...If I remember right there is 4-5 pages for the 800 series...