Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

throttle cable hook up on 3410

johnmonkey

Hello all, I am almost done with my simp 3410. I need to hook up the throttle cable. I have a briggs 10 hp. I am not sure of the procedure for the connections. When the throttle lever is all the way forward the cable is all the way down. I think that that is backwards. Does anyone have a quick method for hooking up the throttle (on the engine side). Thanks for any help. John H PS, is there a book or reference that you could point me to. (I looked in the large frame tractor manual and that did not help)

John, Does your engine have a rod running vertically from the governor link thru a plate at the top of the engine? If so, then there should be a hole in the middle of the rod that cable hooks into. The cable must run thru the second hole in the plate beside the rod and then hook thru the hole in the rod. Guess this is clear as mud, huh? Wish I could have stopped by last Friday. I could have shown you. The engine you gave me that is now on the AC712S did not have any of the linkages. I made my own. It works good.

Thanks, Rod I will look. Thanks, Dutch I do have the set up that you pictured. I was wondering about the actual cable from the throttle lever to the verticle rod pictured. When I push forward on the throttle lever the cable is already extended and goes down. I thought that when you push forward that the cable should extend and make the verticle rod go up (and increase the RPM's). I wondering if I have the throttle lever installed backwards??I will give her another go today. JH

John, Sounds like you have the throttle lever installed backward. It should pull (shorten the center rod) when pushed to full throttle. There should be a second hole right beside the adjustment nut in Dutch's picture that the cable feeds through. There should be a cap that fits the outer sleeve to prevent it from sliding through that hole. Only the center portion should go thru. If yours doesn't have that cap, you can just put a small washer on it. It is only necessary that the cable pull, since the governor will move the rod in the other direction when the tension is released.

quote:
Originally posted by johnmonkey
Thanks, Rod I will look. Thanks, Dutch I do have the set up that you pictured. I was wondering about the actual cable from the throttle lever to the verticle rod pictured. When I push forward on the throttle lever the cable is already extended and goes down. I thought that when you push forward that the cable should extend and make the verticle rod go up (and increase the RPM's). I wondering if I have the throttle lever installed backwards??I will give her another go today. JH
Sounds like #12 or #14 may be installed upside down. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/_throttle.jpg[/img]

Thanks guys, I think I got the lever installed backwards. I will update the post when it is fixed. John H