Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Other brands are good for something.

BruceF

Just thought I would share with you a project I have been working on the last couple of days. Been parting out a few mowers and am using parts for a wagon to pull behind. For now I am making it into a water wagon but will also be making a flat bed, possibly with sides later. Didn't get before pictures of the lawn mowers I started with but here is a few parts I am using. A Toro 8 h.p. rear engine rider frame.

Parts of Craftsman rider frame to make cradle for tank.

Tires and rims off the Master Craft I had talked about in an earlier post.

Replaced rear axle and differential with 3/4" rod.

Original steering was angled to meet steering shaft.

Heated up and bent mounting to level off the steering.

Welded on some brackets for a hitch.

Welded in reinforcement for the hitch.

Finished rolling chassis.

Barrel cradle made and mounted.

Straps holding tank on.

Plan on taking this with me to the Little G Expo to keep the pulling track dust down. Have to figure out a system for applying the water to the track. Not sure if I will get it painted before then. Will post more pictures when I get further along.

Nice work Bruce! We used a 1/2" pipe t'ed off a gate valve. Drilled holes in one side of it, put that side down as a manifold to spray water to dampen down roads. the valve will control the flow rate. Actually that was years ago, when it was still smart to oil down the gravel roads in a resort area. We of course don't do it any more.

Nice Project, Those off brand tractors are good for a lot of things like this... I built a Water tank to carry water to my horses like this a couple of years ago...

Here's what I came up with to distribute the water. The two pipes screw in and out for transport. Covers the ground pretty good.

The tank is a 55 gallon drum. I got it with a pile of stuff bought at an auction. Will have it with me at the Little G Expo this weekend. Didn't have time to paint it so anyone coming to the show will see it as it is here. I will take it apart and paint later.

It looked a bit larger than 55 gallons. I wonder how much weight the frame might be able to take. 55 gallons is about 450 lbs.

John, I have filled the barrel and was able to pull it around by hand with no problem. Frame is more than strong enough for that amount of weight. I put the bigger wheels and tires on to make it easier to roll. Will try to get some pictures of it in action this weekend.

Bruce great job!! Looks a lot like the fun I have had with my wagon (a old Craftsman frame). I have got the side boards done and now working on the power lift, Ill get some pics some. The lift i am work with is a old satelite controll arm. It very powerfull, For a test i lifted the back end of my Ford Exploder with no problems. So i figure it will handle the approxamite 400 to 800 lbs payload of my traler. I have found it takes a got size trator (like my 101 or 410) to pull my wagon empty, The treated 2x 10s added a lot of weight. Good luck this weekend and keep us informed.

Yep, that's the same manifold system we used. Except back then we didn't have PVC we had to use black pipe. Looking forward to the pictures from the show/swap. Have fun.

Hi Bruce, that looks like a nice project. I like to make something from scrounged up parts too! I won't make it to the little G weekend so have some fun for me too!

I do like the whole idea of a water wagon. I wonder if I might be able to customize this for irrigation use. If I did the irrigation, I wonder if rainwater would be better than tap water for the plants. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Nice work Bruce!
quote:
Originally posted by Agricola
I do like the whole idea of a water wagon. I wonder if I might be able to customize this for irrigation use. If I did the irrigation, I wonder if rainwater would be better than tap water for the plants. Any ideas?
It's no contest John. Tap water will keep your plants alive. They may even grow fairly well. But put rainwater, or pond/lake/creek water on them and watch them thrive! I pull from the pond when possible for my garden, until the pond levels get too low. I also have a bulk tank that I catch runoff from the barn. I use both during the drought periods, until the next rain comes along.