Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

k241 rebuild or not

lndscpr

i have a k241 that i got for free. the piston and rod are missing. cylinder looks good except for on the bottom side a large chip was taken out by the rod. i can take a picture of this to show. one person has reccomended boring and sleeving it. another has suggested leaving it alone, since the cylinder is otherwise in good shape it will not harm performance. i am looking opinnions on this. i am thinking of saving this motor for parts since everything is there. john

So long as the rings will not get anywhere near the broken area when the piston moves up and down it is probably usable. I would hone it and replace piston and rod. The lower portion of the casting bore is only to keep the piston running straight in the bore and does not affect operation. So long as there is enough material that there is no way that the piston can cock sideways to any extent during operation, then go with it as is. Boring and sleeving is somewhat touchy. If not done properly, it will cause lots of problems, even ruin the engine.