Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

help with center PTO clutch - 712S

SMahler

Thanks everyone for the help so far - my 712S center PTO stays engaged (blades still spin) regardless of the lever position. I took the clutch apart, and off the tractor. Surprisingly, everything looks fine: Spring is in good shape Entire clutch moves in and out when lever is moved Shaft is smooth, no rus Bearings on clutch itself seem fine, spin easily with no play So what is wrong with this thing? Am I to assume that the inner most disc is the friction disc, and when engaged the clutch is pulled in (towards the tractor frame) to maintain pressure against this disc? Should there be a lining inside the disk? It just feels like rough metal inside.... Thanks so much - last resort is the Simplicity dealer, and that is not going to be cheap :(

When the pulley moves toward the tractor, the clutch disengages. You should see a lining in the outermost part of the assembly when it is removed from the shaft. This lining is inside the female part. The sliding pulley has a male tapered portion that engages with the clutch lining. If the lining is worn completely away, you will just see metal in the female portion. These parts are still available new, but are expensive. I haven't priced them myself, but I think they run somewhere around $60-$80 for a new part with lining. Dutch re-lined one of his clutches with a leather strip and formica contact cement. Last I heard it was still working fine. I am going to try that on one of mine. I have three tractors with this setup. One of them only has about 1/16 inch thickness on the lining and has been touching metal on some spots. I'm looking for it to quit holding very soon. That one is on my primary mower, an AC716H. My AC712S still has a pretty good lining in it. Haven't even looked at the Simp 7116H that I just got last Friday. Be a while before I get to restoring that one to working order.