Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

This is The Reason Why

UCD

This is the reason why you should pull any engine and clean it that has been setting for any length of time. The is the engine out off the B-112 that I bought for my Nephew 2 weeks ago in NH. It had been setting in a barn for some time. The person I got it from liisted it on ebay stateing it would need carb rebuilt as it had old gas in it but it ran. When I got there to pick it up he was not there his wife said it runs the key is in it start it up (yea shure) the carb was off from it and in pieces. They broke the fuel nozzle takeing it apart. The battery was junk and it would not turn over even with a jump. (it ran when it was stored ?) He accepted my offer of less money and we loaded it and brought it home 400 mile round trip. Cleaned the carb and instaled a new kit. Bought a battery & cables for it and installed it but it kept blowing fuses. I cleaned all of the electrical connections and it turned over fine but no fire. After checking a few things found points were shorted. Installed new points and condensor and it fired right up and ran fine with no smoke. (lucked out there) while running it was blowing debris out every where and as it got hotter it had a strong urin smell. Well my Nephew learned how simple it was to pull an engine in A B-112 (four hours out and in including drilling and tapping broken screws in flywheel screen) This is what we found.

Looks familiar... I found something similar in a 10HP that I picked up. Similar symptoms also, when trying to get it to run....

Looking at these photo's I've always wondered how hard it would be to make an access panel in the shroud so cleaning could be done without removing the engine. I have a 2012 and it's a big job to get the engine out. I know mine was spotless when I put my tractor back together last fall, but I wonder how much grass is stuck in there from regular mowing throuoghout the summer. Thanks for the photo. Mike

I have a Case 446 with an Onan 16HP 2 cyl. that I have to take off the side shields every week before I mow because of the mouse nests they build.I set traps,put screans around the shead,it's a loosing battle.I just make sure I check it every time I mow.:(

I have had a few like that and the mice even chewed the coil wire into.But alease you had it running.I have run them long enough that it was smoking.Good luck on it Tony

Thanks for the warning. PS be careful around that mouse dust because there is a virus that you can catch (I think its called "HANTA" [correct me if I am wrong]) the virus is DEADLY and there is no cure. I remember a a post about it about a year or so ago. John H

Them Mice will build a nest just about anywhere. They dig holes around and under concrete, and live in a motor. :)

Every engine that I have seen sitting had the same thing, a giant mouse nest under the shroud. My 101 had one that had two mice living in it. after the 55 mile journey home, we unloaded it off the truck two mice ran out from it. Somehow I doubt they will find their way home.

I haven't had mouse trouble either, of course I am almost always outside and under the carport with my tractors. However, our old Farmall 140 tractor caught on fire when a bird built its nest on the exhaust manifold.

Great pictures Maynard. For anyone who hasn't experienced this first hand, it should be the 'picture worth a thousand words'.

I had exact some problem on my B-210, All that type of debri under flywheel shroud. I tried real hard to clean it out without pulling the engine but I couldn't do it well enough so out came the engine. Definately worth checking especially on machines that have been sitting for some time unused.

One time I walked in front of the HB-112 while it was running, and was surprised at how much the flywheel fan does. I also noticed how little the fan in the B-110 was doing. I found exactly what you did. Luckily I didn't get the smell, I'm afraid that won't go away so easily.

Johnmonkey,and the rest of you. Johnmonkey is correct about the Hanta virus. I work for a pharmaceutical company that does rodent testing. Hanta virus wiped out an entire colony of test animals in short order here. [url][/http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/url]

I know that I need to pull the 16hp on the 7116 and do this, but I've been procratinating since the 716 is running so well. Thanks for the pics, it does show how SIMPLE it is to do. That's amazing how much junk is in there.

Probably not a shred of insulation left on any of the wires either... I had one so bad in a junker that sat behind a barn that everything was pretty much bare copper.

Has anyone tried putting moth balls in the blower housing to keep the mice away? Also, I have had good luck repairing mouse eaten spark wires using GE silicone. I don't think regular vinal electrical tape will stand the high voltages.

• 4 weeks later...
started cleaning out a 7hp kohler today that had been sitting could see sunflowers seeds packed in behind the flywheel screen. was wondering why it wouldn't turn. wasnt a broken rod. the mice had packed a half dozen roofing nails behind the flywheel. still need to take the shroud off. i am sure there is more stuff waiting there. i think i am gonna go buy some dcon and sticky traps.