Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck Swapping

CarlH

I have been mowing recently with my 7100 series tractors with a 7100 series 48" deck. Earlier this week I mounted this deck on my trusty AC 716H. I found that the used 163011 belt (the belt from the PTO to the deck) called out for the 716H's deck was a little too long. I assumed it was just stretched from use and it was time for a new belt. I got another 163011 (now 1722039) and installed it. While tighter than the used belt, it was not tight enough to be usable. I had always thought that with the proper belt for the tractor being used any of these decks were interchangeable. Apparently I was wrong. Does anyone have any experience in choosing an appropriate belt for different combinations of 7000/7100 tractors/decks? Thanks

Yes. I have swapped many times. I am surprised that the belt from the 7100 series was even close. I think it is 78.1" or 78.something anyway. The belt for the 700 series is something like 71.5". Can't remember off the top of my head but I am certain they listed on the belt reference pages. Those 72" and 78" el-cheapo belts from Orchelns, Farm and Fleet, Big Blue etc. will work in a pinch but don't last long. Brent

Now I am confused. And I misread your post. I just looked it up here: [url] http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/belts/belts_(pg5).htm [/url] The part # you are calling out IS the correct 71.6" belt for use on the 3400 and 7000 series machines. The 7100 series is 78.1" Not sure why your 163011 is too long. Sorry if I confused you. Brent

I also got a good green power rated 72" belt from CarQuest that was too long. I have found these to be almost as durable as the Simplicity belts. Guess I'll go back and get a 70" or 71" and see how they work. I'm trying to estimate which length will allow for for a certain amount of stretch wihout stretching too much.

Carl, Are you sure that one of the idler pulleys has not been replaced. I did that on one of mine to enable use of a slightly shorter belt. Interesting thing, I changed that idler so I could use a belt that I already had. The mower had been eating belts. Haven't replaced a belt since putting on the smaller idler. Belts are not Simplicity.

Rod, Thanks, you jogged my memory. I did change one of the idlers and I believe that I robbed a 7100 tractor and used it on the 716H. That may explain what's going on.

It's funny to read this today, because I actually took the deck off the 7116 & put it on the 716H. I had no problems. I've actually been using the same belt for both tractors with both decks. I've been to busy to pick up a new one.

Turns out that the idler I stole is the same on 7000 and 7100 series. My problem was that I had adjusted the front rocker all the way out (just a couple of threads holding it to the yokes) in an attempt to maximize the mowing height. The geometry of the bracket caused the deck to move back enough to loosen the standard belt. After rationalizing the adjustment, I'm mowing again with 163011 belt.