Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Transmission cleaning ?

dorise

Being that I have the axle shaft removed and oil drained would you guys suggest a tear apart job to really clean the whole inside good? I am not sure if there were any problems with it. Thanks again guys.

If I had it out for the axle tube, I would go thru the whole transmission. and check everything out and put all new seals in. And what else it might need.

Thanks for the help. I removed the side plate and found the axle tube is broke.:( Can a machine shop. weld it up and turn it down to size? You guys are the greatest help for this ole lady and her needs.:)

Try posting an ad in the "Parts Wanted" section of the classifieds. I know there are parts out there, you just have to look in the right places.....

Hi, I would recommend that you check the roll pins between the shift forks. As these wear off they cause the trannys to hang up in gear. I always set them too the highest end of the spec and you will have less trouble. I would personally put a new axle tube in rather than a used one. They usually due to a microscopic crack starting at the corner of the keyway at the differential. Unless you have it magnafluxed you may be putting in one not all that much better than the one you have and you have all that labor in. Also if the next one breaks, occasionally they break the side cover on the transmission. This makes the saving on used a loss. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden