Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 16hp engine

Dave-Saratoga

I just finished (finally^) rebuilding a briggs 16 horse cast iron engine. When I started it up for the first time and let it run for a couple minutes to adjust the carb, I noticed that the muffler was glowing a nice cherry red in the outlet tube. I had put on a new "canister" muffler. My 10 horse briggs doesn't cause the glowing. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions as to whether I should stay with the canister or use another style of muffler? and btw, the engine ran very smooth - can't wait to finish up the installation put it to work. thanks in advance dave

Dave, It sounds like you have your carb set too lean. Was this in the bright daytime light, or in half darkness in the evening? I have had many engines that will show up with a glowing exhaust when it is dusk or nearly dark around. If it was brignt sunlight - not good. If it was nearly dark - may not be a problem at all. I have a 14 Kohler that looks great in daylight, but blows a 6 inch flame from the stack exhaust in darkness. It has no muffler, just an open stack pipe.

It could be that the carb is a little on the lean side. This and being new and tight will cause the excessively hot exhaust. A newly rebuilt engine should be run on the rich side for a while

Rod The flames out the exhaust is fuel that is not getting burned in the combustion chamber. This can be caused by a rich condition. You are bound to get some with these engines with the short exhaust ports and pipe and no muffler. The muffler also acts as a flame arrester to an extent. These engines have no accelerator pump in the carb and in order to prevent stalling on acceleration the carb has to be set a little rich on the high speed jet. When adjusting the carb after getting it to run smooth on high speed jet let it idle and snap the throttle plate on carb open with you hand if it spits, sputters and stumbles open the high speed jet just a little. Keep doing this until it will accelerate with out stumbling.

thanks guys- will set out to adjust it tonite. can hardly wait for the snow now to see how far it'll throw it - yee ha.