Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Salthart

Murphy, Murder in mind......

Salthart
As I have said before, My Broadmoor hydro is on its last leg. Before I can complete the yard it don't want to pull my 275+ pounds around any more. I have the B-10 I could mow with and my grandfathers 3415H but had started to enjoy mowing with the lighter machines and using the others more as tractors. So while looking in the paper the other day I found a 4212H for sale. Ad said put a deck belt on and mow with it ( What a laugh ) . Well, I hook up the trailer to the Nissan and drive around 50 miles only to find part of a 4211H. Both rear tires are beyond thoughts of repair, Both front axles are bad and the bearings are so worn that hubs may be needed, no muffler, battery strap missing, Starter cable has been replaced with 14 Ga wire, ( And they wondered why it didn't want to start ) And last but not least, the grill is in pieces.. The plus's are it came with a new starter, solenoid and battery ( none of those installed ) I went against better judgement and bought the thing never having heard it run. Loaded it up and started home. I get 25 miles from home on I-40 when Murphy taps me on the shoulder. Truck shuts down like I'd hit the switch. I was able to get into the emergancy lane but being 3 feet from bumper to bumper trafic doing 70 MPH is not my idea of fun. No cell phone and not one tool with me. Nearest pay phone almost 2 miles. I wait an hour and no one stops. Not a cop in site. After tinkering the best I can without tools I figure the power valve in the carb has shut down tight. The engine will start and run at idle for about 3 seconds and thats it. Fuel in the tank and the pump is working. Float bowl is full etc. Have spark etc and the EGR valve isn't stuck open. Nothing to do but start walking and I tell you thats not something I do well in my condition. When I had a quarter mile left,a car load of kids passed me on the off ramp and while they were waiting in traffic for the light to change one of them felt sorry for me,soaked with sweat and I guess looking like I would pass out any minute and offered me a cold beer out the car window. I thanked him kindly ( and meant it ) for the offer but turned it down. Just as I got across the 5 lanes of traffic with no cross walk ( No small feat I tell you ) I hear someone calling my name. I turned to find an old friend running up the walk behind me, His truck setting back at the on ramp. He walks me back, opens his cooler, offers me a bottle of ice cold water ( Drank it in like 2 minutes ! ) and drives me to my door...And offers me the use of his truck for a while till mine is up and running.. ( Turned that down but was grateful he offered ) To make a long story short, With the help of my brother-in-law, I went back and changed out the carb and drove the truck home. Will report back on the 4211H. P.S. NCHP saw fit to give me a warning ticket for abandoned vehicle. Ain't that a kick in the pants ? BTW, if you see Murphy, Tell him I got a BB gun with his name on it ! LOL Don't really wanna kill him.. Just make him hollar... snicker