Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7119 what to do ?

BrownA

Last year I picked up a Simplicity 7119 tractor with a 48" deck and a few other things. The engine does not work and I think it threw a connecting rod. It has a two cylinder 19.hp Kohler. No visible holes in engine block, engine spins a little in one direction the binds up and does the same in the opposite dircetion. I was wondering if I should pull the engine and find out what's wrong and then fix it possibly depending on what I find or should I part it out ? How much better is a Kohler 19.hp than a single cylinder 16 hp briggs cast iron ? Am I going to be impressed that much more by the engine ? The tractor has a longer wheel base than the AC B series which I have. It is a hydro and does have a hydraulic lift, what do you think ? I know nothing about how good the Kohlers are. I am not sure off the top of my head what series the engine is, I will check and add that info to this topic. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks, Al

I messed up the tractor is a 7119 with a kohler kt19s Series 2, 19 hp twin cylinder. I am kind of thinking I should try to fix the engine,if it's not junk, get it running and then take it from there ? Not sure, Any suggestion on the tractor or the engine are appreciated. Thanks, Al

Al, I'd go in and find the problem, then decide. I have a Kohler twin on my welder and it has been a good engine.

Heck, it doesn't cost anything to take it apart. It's an education. Once inside it might be something simple like a loose rod cap stopping it from full travel. I've seen just that problem before. Tighten it up and away you go. Either way it will answer one question and lead to others. See how much fun this can be?

Hi Al, you can leave the whole tractor at my house that way you don't have to worry about fixing it! LOL :D If it were me I'd pull it and see how bad it is and go from there. BTW I'd be happy to take the 7119 as a partial trade toward my running 3410. LOL

Hi Al, When I aquired my 7117 it had also snapped a rod and slightly cracked the engine case. One of the cylinders had the bottom skirt broken off also. The rebuild consisted of new pistons,rings,rods,crankshaft machined,cylinders bored to .020 and new gaskets and seals. The cost came to a little over half of what a new engine would run.I'd probably go with a used engine next time, but it was a good learning experience just the same. I have a rebuild manual for the KT17 and KT19 Series II if you want to borrow it. Regards,Dan P.S. I sold the house, and I'll be back in Wakefield in about two weeks...

Hi Al, I have a 7119 with a KT-19 series II. If or when it goes, I priced around and it doesn't seem cost effective to repair Kohler's bad engine design. So my advise is: If the KT-19 Series II has a rod or piston damaged, you might think of replacing the engine with one of AL Eden's repowering kits. It will ensure the 7119 will last till the next generation. I installed one of Al's kits and I'm just a basic mechanic. I was able to do it because the removal and installation instruction were very detailed and precise. He also included pictures for reference. I can't say enough about the Quality of the repowering Kit. It includes the CH-18 and everything(wiring,drive shaft, muffler and all mounting hardware) Hope this helps if it isn't something simple in the engine. Tim