Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
EricD

"It's a classic"

EricD
So here I was driving out to pick up my new used trailer (19.5 feet). As usual, I'm scanning for tractors and a Sears Suburban tractor (early 70's vintage) sitting atop a storage container catches my eye. Seeing how I own a couple and never know what parts I could eventually need, I turn around to investigate. As I'm talking to the owner I notice another of the same era setting in some tall grass. Both are quite rusty and look to have been sitting outside unused for years (a small tree growing on top of the seat was a dead give-a-way). I inquire about their history and condition. He tells me: "well, I think with a rebuild that one will be a good runner, and that other one's a good spare". I then asked about his parting with them and he tells me: "I'll need a lot, they're classic collectors items". ***At this point I should just clarify to all of you reading this, I like Sears Suburbans and think they can be highly collectible*** But I had a hard time keeping my inner giggles from springing out when he said that with a straight face. After a few more minutes of small talk, I thanked him for his time. Driving away I made a mental note where to bring my Sears (er, ehm, collectors item's) when I'm ready to sell and buy that retreat house on the California coast:o)

goatfarmer
I usually find cars that way.You'll see them when they're sitting behind a garage,and they're savable,and the owner will tell you "That's an antique(or a classic),I'm gonna re-do that one,I couldn't sell THAT! 10 years later,when the only thing that's happened to the vehicle is that it's now a rusty hunk of iron,still sitting behind the garage,they'll want to sell it,but at what it was worth when it was still decent.

10HorseMan
Most of the time, if it is visible from the road, it has been tried to be bought a thousand times, and someone has spilled the beans on "Collectable". This happens to me a lot. Ten years, motor stuck, just junk, "Oh, it'l be worth somthin one day" But not to me, it would have looked better and probabally ran.

tipspeed
This topic is very timely for me. just a day ago I was visiting a man I know who has a LOT of junk on his property. Going back about ten years or so, another guy offered the junk collector $25 for the windshield on an old Arctic Cat Panther he had. Reply was more or less "Nope, might need it someday". The sled was parked on a marshy area behind the guy's barn and during my recent visit I noticed it had sunk into the ground up to what was once the windshield (now broken). What a shame!

Nick
Timely for me too. I heard about a yard sale this Sunday in the parking lot at a local tile store where my neighbor knows the owner and he knew they had a tractor there on the approach road. Turns out it's a Simplicity Landlord 101 covered in a nice sheen of rust. Its missing the hood and front frame, with a mower deck and rototiller. The owner said it's his uncles who refuses to sell anything. It's been sitting there for 10 years. He said some guy offered him 200 for the seized up rototiller. He went on to say that his Uncle said he plans on fixing it up one day. and if it was his he would be more then happy to give it all to me. So all you locals here Don't bother asking about the Simplicity parked at Sherwoods Tile, accross from the Newburgh Mall.

HubbardRA
Anybody want a Sears Suburban. I have one I'll give you if you come and get it. No engine, no mower. Hi-Lo tranny works great, also have hood, grille and engine clutch linkage. Just come to my house and get it.