Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

port washington trip

simplicity707

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me what there is to do up in Port Washington, Wis. I wanted really bad to take a trip up north and the folks said yes, but they want to know what there is to do up there. Is there a museum of the old tractors and can you take tours of the plant? Is the plant even open to general public? What is there to do up there and does it cost? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm excited and hope you can help me out. Thanks,,

Hi, I don't know about the Simplicity factory regarding the factory tours. I was up there last week and was up at the Kohler factory. I had business to transact and I took my front end manager, top salesman and her husband and they were gracious enough to give us a factory tour. I had to be back to Simplicity at 11:00 and asked for it to fit. The Kohler design center is there. Sheboygen is on the East and Kohler on the West. In the Kohler design center [open to the public] the basement has a ton of history about Kohler and old Kohler products. The first and second floors have bunches of displays of furniture and exotic bathrooms and kitchens that Kohler makes fixtures for. If you take your wife, she will love you for taking her to the design center. You will love it also, it is beyond belief. Note that Kohler fixtures and faucets are a much larger business than the Engine Company. It is really worth the drive, about 30 minutes from Port Washington. I will call Peggy and find out who you would need to contact about a tour of Simplicity. There are an number of Charter boats that go out on Lake Michigan on fishing trips. You should eat once at Smiths Fish Shanty on the waterfront. Walking around the waterfront and looking at the boats is worth while. The factory is on North Spring street, [as I remember you go up Grand Ave to go past it], and the proving grounds are North of town on County road LL. You could at least drive by. John Deere is just up the road at Horicon and Ariens Gravely are at Brillion near Green Bay. Tecumseh is head quartered at Grafton, 5 miles from Port Washington, and the factory is at Holstein Wi. Briggs is in Menomenee. The first time I was up to the factory Gilson was on the SW side of Port Washington. Gone now. I think driving around could be very interesting. It is kind of interesting that all of the engine companies and so many outdorr power manufacturers are all concentrated in this area. My 2 cents worth, its free, value accordingly. Al Eden