Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gator Blades

WITom

I've seen a few people mention them. I've also seen pics of them after looking around on the net. What is so great about them? What is the advantage to using them? Thanks, Tom

They're thicker, heavier and harder-tempered than stock blades... but, what's really different is that the turned up part on the back of the blade (that creates the lift or suction) is serrated into "teeth" that create a lot of turbulence. This holds the clippings up in the air longer, so that they're cut by the blade several times before they're discharged in much smaller pieces...

....and with a little bit of touch up sharpening on the "teeth", they help shread the clippings, leaves, sticks, etc.........

Thanks for the insight. If'n I were going to invest in new blades, which system would be a better way to go - the Gators or those Mega-Mo blade thingys that have four small blades attached to a disc? Thanks, Tom

The Gators are a lot cheaper and seem to do pretty good for me. I've got them on a Simplicity 4211 and a Cub. You will loose a little lift for bagging though (in my opinion it seems so on the Cub). Mike

After seeing Maynard's post about clearing the brush out of his woods I think I'm going to get some for my 1920H. I use that 60" deck for a brush hog anyway I think these blades just might be the crowning touch.

OK, I just got a new set of Gator blades in for a 42" deck. I measured them along with a new Simplicity blade for the same deck and here's what I got. The Simplicity blade is 2.000 wide and 0.190 thick. The Gator blade is 2.505 wide and 0.205 thick.

I got a set this year and can definitely see a difference in how finely the grass is cut up and how clean my deck is. Very little grass under the deck, and what is there is pulverized so fine it comes off in one piece. The ones I got for my 7117 with a 48" deck were EXACTLY the same size as OEM. I purchased mine at a large independent hardware that happens to sell John Deere, but they can get parts for anything. I went out to a website before I went to the hardware store and got the correct part number, but the hardware could have looked it up for me. I'm definitely a convert for Gator Blades.

quote:
Originally posted by WITom
Thanks for the insight. If'n I were going to invest in new blades, which system would be a better way to go - the Gators or those Mega-Mo blade thingys that have four small blades attached to a disc? Thanks, Tom
I have both Gators and the Meg-mo thingies. The Gators are collecting dust on the shelf. I think the deck depth has something to do with it. My deck is shallow, so the Gators just don't make much difference. Tacey

Gators on a 7112, and 4' high field grass. 2 passes one forward and one backwards. Unbelievable cut. I now use them on all my tractors for cutting everything.

John

I had a set but don't use them any more. They worked OK but, they weren't worth the extra money. I'm glad they work for you all but I wasn't that impressed. [V] In the Golfing industry they aren't worth the money. Must justify the extra expence. Just my 2 cents worth... 8D