Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Sid

620 transmission

Sid
I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer, I have a AC 620 and lately with the tractor in 3rd gear the thing runs fine until I try to run it up any type of incline then it seems as though the tranny loses power. The engine rpm remains consistent, it seems to be in the tranny. Is there some way to adjust this or is the tranny on its way out? Also I believe I have a seal going bad in the rear what is the difficulty level of changing this out? Again thanks for any help you can offer. Sid

UCD
The first thing to do if it hasn't been done is change the fluid and filter. Use dexron ATF and a good filter OEM Simplicity filter is best but you can also use a Wix or napa filter. Just don't buy a cheap filter like Fram. A cheap filter like a Fram one size fits most will cause the problem you have. Some of the members here have had that same problem and a fluid and filter change cured it.

StanD
I think you will find the problem to be drive belts slipping or the bearings in the driven pulley. Could be hydro but sounds like drive belts. Do you have 1 1/2 to 2 inches of free play on clutch pedal? StanD

CleanBee
I agree with Stan. I had the exact same problem as you discribed and it was the matched pair of belts that drive the hydro. Mine were originals and were stretched out. You may also feel a slight pulsing in the clutch pedal if the belts are loose enough. Make sure you get the proper belts to replace them with.

ikipp
Fixed mine by using a simplicity filter and new tranny fluid. Remember when you fill up the tranny fluid, you've got to release the bleeder valve or you don't get an accurate reading of the tranny fluid level.

JimS
You should also check the bushings in the actuating rod that runs from the hand control lever to the hydrostat arm. Mine was worn and the transmission would slow down under load and seem like it was slipping.