Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mbrook

How much .....

mbrook
would a wheel weight weigh if a wheel weight would be weighed? Seriously, I picked up some rear wheel weights the other day and was wondering how much is too much for a 3212V. I'm worried these might be too much. I beleive that they are "homemade" and appear to be made of lead. I haven't weighed one yet (hopefully tonight) but taking the estimated size of 8" dia by 4" thick and the wieght of lead at 0.4096 lbs/cu inch, these things would weigh in at 82 lbs each. I would guess that to be fairly close just by lifting them. I'm assuming this could be overloading the axle and lead to potential problems. I plan on using them for snowblowing,plowing and with a mold board plow. Should I cut them down? What was the weight of the original "Simplicity" wheel weights? Advice is always appreciated. Thanks again.

HubbardRA
The wheel weights put no load on the tractor except when you let out the clutch. The inertia of the wheel weights loads the drive tube when the wheels are accelerated during initial start of motion of the machine. If you are gentle on the clutch and do not jerk the tractor hard when starting off, then the amount of wheel weight should not be a problem. When I was doing tractor pulling with a motorcycle engine (85 Hp), I would not use wheel weights. I wanted the wheels to spin to prevent drivetrain breakage. I used only chassis weights. Stock tractors are low powered and accelerate the wheels much more slowly. Chassis weights will produce higher stress on the bearings and cause wear, while wheel weights do not. Just be gentle on the clutch and you shouldn't have a problem. If you drive it hard and jerk it a lot, then you will break a drive tube with wheel weights.

Agricola
Mark, It is pretty simple. When the bride is out of the house, take the scale out of the bathroom and weight those babies. If you want to keep the scale clean, then weigh yourself and then you and a weight together. I avoid putting weights on the axle. Too expensive to repair a broken axle.

mbrook
Well last night when the wife was out, I brought the bathroom scale out to the garage and weighed them. Each wheel weight weighs 60lbs, I guess not as much as I thought but it still seems like alot. Am I correct in saying that the original Simplicity wieghts weighed 25lbs each?

rokon2813
I dont think my weights are original, though I was told they were, 40# each. Till recently they were on the tractor summer and winter, and I never broke an axle tube until I tried tractor pulling with it. ;)I am not "easy" on my tractors either. I dont think you will have a problem with 60# unless you get carried away like Rod said.

thedaddycat
I have several sets of wheel weights, including 25# and 50# sets for the rear and 20# and 35# for the front wheels. I have gone so far as to run 75# of weights each side on the rears along with filling the tires with winter formula windshield washer fluid. The total weight for each tire/wheel combination was 150# per side. I wouldn't worry about running your weights......

mowerman1193
Well the Simplicity weights are desinged to be stacked as well...I have seen several Simplicity tractors that had two weights per wheel...That would be 50# per wheel...and who knows whether the tires are filled or not...I think it will be fine with those weights...

comet66
With loaded tires, and stacked weights, the rear wheels on my sunstar loader tractor go 190# each. So far, (knock wood) I have not had a problem with them. My 1920H has had 55# on each wheel since it was new in 1992, 650 hours with 60" deck, tiller, snowblower, or dozer blade and no problems yet. These tractors work very hard around here. So I'd not worry too much about it.

D-17_Dave
I had a hundred# weight on each tire on my HB with the ag tires, As snappy as the Hydro is I'm surprised I did'nt pop something. It sure did stick like crazy on the side of a hill for mowing,but with the 620 as the primary tractor now I finally took them off. Figured I'd save some abuse on the rear end that way.

KenK
I have 50# weights on each wheel and about 250#s in a weight box plus myself.This is all on a 716h with a loader and so far no problems.I think that being easy on the clutch or no sudden forward and reverse on the hydro should keep you from twisting an axle tube.