Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chris727

B110 voltage regulator

Chris727
Has anyone found a source for the old rectangular voltage regulators like on the old large frame tractors? Two tractor dealerships showed me regulators for 12 volt that looked near identical but they couldn't tell me if the windings inside would be the same. Thanks. Chris

HubbardRA
Found a listing on ebay once for a company that sold the regulators new. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it. They sold for about $30. Sorry, but I don't remember the name of the company. I just recently bought two used ones from ebay. Got one for $7 and the other was with a Starter-generator that I bought. Only thing unique about the garden tractor regulators is the 10 amp current limit to prevent burning up the starter-generator. Farm tractor regulators do not have this limit, since their generators are not sealed and cool much better.

Chris727
Thanks Rod, I saw a new one on ebay but its the smaller square kind. Is there much difference, seems like all the little square ones don't put out enough charge. I had one off a b-207 that I tried on the B-110 and I only got about 12.26 volts across the battery terminals while running. The tractor flooded and I was cranking on it for 20 seconds and the recenntly charged battery went dead, BTW its the correct battery 22NF bought new a year ago. On my 3410 Landlord which has the rectangular regulator I get about 13.5 volts across the battery terminals while running and I've never had to charge its battery, which is a little cheapie from Wallyworld.

HubbardRA
Chris, I have two currently running tractors with s-g systems. One has the rectangular regulator, and one has the square regulator. Both are running 51R batteries, and both stay fully charged with no problems. The last charging problem that I had was a WallyWorld garden tractor battery which I replaced with a 51R - problem cured.

Roy
J & N Electrical Supply (??) makes both types of regulators. I recently bought one for my 7013S (rectangular 3-coil) rated for 12 to 15 amps maximum. Works fine. Initially charges around 12 to 14 amps and quickly tapers off to a few amps as it should. I bought mine from a friend who runs a starter/generator shop. My cost was $33 total ($26 + shipping). Let me know if you want more info or want me to price one for you.