Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

allis 620

wilburn

how many of you own a 620 an how do u like it.can any of you tell me something about them an what your opinion of them is. i own a 620 with the 60 in deck an hyd 3 speed trans on it with 20 hp onan.i love the way it handles an mows .

Wilburn I've been wanting a 620 or 720 but just can not find them here in Kentucky. I've heard that the big thing now is to repower them with the 24hp(I think)Honda twin kit from Al Edens. I've been told it turns the 620 into a real tiger and is very economical to maintain and repair.

Have a simplicity 4041, which I purchased this year. Identical to the AC 620. Use the 60" mower all the time. It has the original cckb engine. It is plenty of power for me and runs like a top. A great machine that can do a zillion different jobs for you.

I bought a 620 in may and love it very much.I like the way it runs and handles.I need to get the deck height adjusted before i will mow with it.They are out there to be bought.I have waited severial yrs before i found one and purchased one in illinois.I wanted a 720 but found the 620s to be in better shape and less money than the 720s.THE 720 s were in ok shape but alot of them were in way overpriced for the condition.

I'd like a little more power but I'm supper pleased with the way my 620 was built. It seem I never run out of things for it to do. I just wish it was a little easier to swap the deck on and off, as I'd use my attachments more if it wer'nt so time consuming.

Always haveing too much fun. :p

my starter went out on the 620 guy that designed it must have been blind.had to pull the engine out an remove the flywheel just to get to one bolt .the other 2 were easy to get.while it is out i am going to clean everything an put on some new paint.it will be easier to do now that engine is out of frame

When you replace the starter be sure you have a little clearance from the drive to flywheel teeth. There is enough give in the mounting holes to get the mesh too tight & drive will hang up. StanD

I was lucky enough to buy one over a year ago with the help of my Dad and brothers. It came with a 60 inch mower deck and a snowblower. It's a work horse and a hobby for me. I'm still thrilled every time I get on it!

Wilburn, The more you use this tractor the more likely that 1) You will never give it up, and 2) The more you will want a second one and a third etc. I bought my Simplicity 9020 (virtually identical except a little newer) from my uncle when he went into a nursing home in 1990 or so. Since then I've purchased a second 9020 and a Simplicity 4041 (4041 is the same as a 620 except for hood). It would take a lot for me to give up any of the three powermax tractors I have. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't use, or at least start, all three tractors in the same week. As for the Briggs/Honda conversion kits, I think it's a good choice for a tired Onan. If you are just looking for a replacement part for an otherwise good running Onan CCKB, I'd suggest finding someone who's converting to the Honda/Briggs and getting replacement parts from them. Those old Onan's are TOUGH! I don't feel a newer Honda or Briggs are any better. They are the best option if your Onan is beyond reasonable repair. Paul

I have mowed for 4 years now with the 720 I bought in 2001. The first year, mowed as is. Over the winter of 2001/2002, put a fresh coat of Persian Orange II and decals on her. She looks great (some of you have seen her at shows) and the paint is still flawless. (Pics on profile page). Bought another this summer, Jim Powers is currently rebuilding the engine in it. From what I have heard of the re-powers, heat is an issue. So, I'll just change plugs, points, and air filter once per year, and my oil and oil filer twice per year. She's a mowing maniac!