Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
EZDUZIT

3212V deck (another few dumb questions !

EZDUZIT
I am having a problem with my deck,after finaly getting it together.It is on a 3212V,1970 vintage.The deck model is 990575,42" manual lift.I have followed all the posts on here refering to height of cut and such.My problem (s)is I dont have any spring "bounce" as to speak.I have to crank it all the way down to get any height to the cut.I think I have finally got the front clevises in the right spot and the blades to all of the height I will get with worn rollers,but I get no spring action up and down after turning the height adjusting screws all the way down.I beleive I have not assembled the height adjusters correctly,even though they look to me that they are.So here are my questions.# 1 what do I do with the nut that is on the height adjusters at the bottom of the clevis? am I supposed to adjust that in some matter. Yes the deck is bottomed out at that slotted piece. #2 Where do I put the left hand lift lever stop at?#3 Is the lift chain supposed to have slack in it when it is in mowing postion ? I would like to get it operating correctly befor I start to look for rollers that arent as worn as mine. Oh yes,when I lossen up the height adjuster screws more then 1 or 2 turns to lower the cutting height,they are real loose and turn looser from the vibration of the deck when I am driving this thing.

Kent
I'm not sure I understand all the questions, but I'll give it a go. Here's the only pic on the site that I can find easily that shows the adjusters: [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/885-886_decks/figure7.jpg[/img] 1. If the deck is at the very bottom of the slotted holes, it is at its highest cutting position, regardless of where the adjusting handles are, or the tension on the springs. I simply adjust mine to the bottom of the slots, check to make sure the deck is level (side to side) and tighten the nuts down to hold this adjustment permanently (I leave it that way all the time, especially with worn rollers). Then, I tighten the adjusting handles to get enough tension on the spring to where they don't rattle -- they're not adjusting anything with the nuts tightened down tight anyway.... 2. You should put the left hand lift lever stop as far back as you can, without the lift handle getting in your way -- to make sure there is sufficient slack for the deck to go down below its normal cutting position. See #3 below. 3. Yes, there should be two or three slack links in the lift chain, when it is down. Adjust the length of the lift chain to where the lift arm will catch on the notch at the front of the lift quadrant without the center arbor pulley hitting the belly of the tractor. In the full up position, my rollers are typically no more than 2" off the ground. Finally, check the front to back height adjustment, as shown below. I suspect that you have badly worn rollers and will never get the desired height, unless you replace/rebush the rollers, or relocate the roller mechanism farther down on the mowing deck as some have done (search the archives for "height adjustment" and you'll likely find that discussion). Hope this helps. [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/mower1_ops/figure4.jpg[/img]

EZDUZIT
Thank you Kent. I think I understand what you are saying.I see that in the picture you sent me that the height adjusters are on the outside of that deck,mine and the parts manual I downloaded from here,show mine on the inside.Im going to get to it and see if mine will go outside.So what you are saying is that I dont need the deck to ride up and down in those verticle slots,is that correct?? Thanks again, Pete

Kent
Yes, the older decks have the adjusters farther in, but they are essentially the same otherwise. Don't try moving yours... they're where they're supposed to be. You don't want the deck to ride up and down -- there shouldn't be any spring action. I set the rollers at the bottom of the slot, and then tighten the nuts down there to hold them in that position.

EZDUZIT
Thanks again Kent ,I didnt see you on here.WHEWW !!! that was a fast reply.All these years I thought that the deck was supposed to ride up and down in those slots DUH !To tell you the truth I just went out and mowed a section with it,even though it rained cats and dogs here a few hours ago.I will need to get the rollers and the inserts to get it up some more.I will play with it somemore this weekend.Thanks again pal. Pete.