Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2005 Prestige

Bruker

My local dealer recently told me that the 2005 Prestige will only be available with the 23HP Kohler. Has anyone else heard this? Also how can you tell the difference between an `04 and an `05 model?

I've heard the same thing. The 2005 also has a safety cutout that disengages the mower deck in reverse -- with an onver-ride switch. The 2004 didn't have such a creature.

I still can't figure out what the big safety idea is about having the blade cut out when you back up.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
I still can't figure out what the big safety idea is about having the blade cut out when you back up.
IMO, it's not trying to idiot-proof them, it's trying to lawyer-proof them should someone back over a child, pet, etc.

Probably mix and match mower decks like the Legacy XL. I really hate those reverse cut-outs. I hope they really do put an over-ride on them.

Hi, I believe the 23 Koh is correct. All of the 2005s will have the reverse shut off and the yellow key overide switch for it. This makes the units meet the 2005 CPSC requirements regarding this matter that go into effect Sept 1. Believe this came about over a small child that ran into the yard and behind a mowing tractor. Operator backed up unaware of the child, child got feet cut off. I believe this type of thing has happened more than once. By putting the override switch in the operator can decide if it is safe to have the mower run in reverse etc based on surroundings and operation and observation experience of the operator. Also if a young less experienced operator is mowing the parent can remove the override key and then the reverse shut off works. When you go to reverse the engine dies if the mower is on. Thank goodness they had the foresite to add the override switch. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

Just another thought maybe we can run backwards over all the lawyers. They make good fertilizer... they're full of what makes the grass grow green.

I operate a JD X495 at work that has the reverse mower/shut off on it. It is kind of a pain. Instead of trying to idiot proof everything I wish they would teach people how to operate CORECTLY- this includes automobiles! Just my view from the Ridge.

Stopped at my local Simp. Dealer today to get parts. He told me about the reverse cut-out on the 2005's, but was unaware of the Prestige only being available in the 23HP. Do you know anything about this Al?