Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Roy

Paint Procedure Question

Roy
I am painting the dash cowl for my 7013S. After the first finish coat I can see sanding scratch marks from where I wet sanded the primer with 400 grit. The question is this. Should I prime again and wet sand with 600 or 800 grit? Or, can I wet sand the top coat with 600 or 800 grit and then top coat again? Looking for the easiest, correct method. Thanks,

Kent
You can wet sand the top coat. I frequently wetsand the topcoat, even the last one which I wll then use polishing compound (not rubbing compound) to rub it out. Comes out pretty good for spraycans...

poolshark
what are you painting with? rattle cans? quality auto paint? i would get a good primer surfacer, then after the primer is dry you use a spray can of opposite color and spray a light coat over the primer, this is called a guide coat, when you block sand now you can see those sand scratches, pay attention to working times with all paint products, work a product too fast and you get that sand scratch swelling, let the product dry to long and its hard to sand. 25+ years paint experience, ill be glad to answer questions, you have to do perfect prep work to get that quality finish

Roy
I'm working with Plasticote spray cans. The perfect prep work is my problem. The cowl stamping if far from straight/smooth, not to mention rust pitted, so unless I do massive build up with body putty it is difficult to block sand. Painting is my downfall. I do not have the patience required to do first class work but am trying to "hang in there" of this project. May not be correct but will try wet sanding and another top coat. If this does not work OK I can always do another prime coat. Thanks to all,