Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower deck bearings

SimpleMan

Pardon my long winded aproach at explaining my situation. I just want to make sure that I'm explaining myself clearly. Everything is in reference to mower deck Mfg No.#1691219 While doing some routine maintenence on the Sov. this morning I noticed that my mower blade shafts have some side to side play when moved at the top side of the arbour (not the blade end). Being curious, I took one of the arbours out, dismantled it and noticed the following. Both bearing spin fine, with no rough spots...or major wear showing. The major diference I noticed was how the bearings fit in the arbours. The bottom bearing is snug...actually have to tap slightly to seat the bearing properly in the bottom arbour housing. The top bearing however is not as snug, and is loose enough to rotate (slightly) in the top arbour housing. I know this is causing my side to side play. If I reverse the shaft I still end up with the same results (bottom arbour/bearing fits well, top is loose). Considering these symptoms would it be in my best interest to replace the tops of the arbours? Or, does this sound normal, based on your experiences with these mower arbours? Thanks for the input. Gord

I've had the same problem with a few of my 1691219 decks. New upper housings developed the same problem within a few hundred hours. My solutions are to stake the (newer) housings to a get a few more hours and replace then with (older) used housings when I can. Have you checked your 1691219 deck for stress cracks? It appears that Simplicity developed quality control problems on the later model Sovereign tractors. I have experienced many premature failures compared with the older Sovereigns.

Thanks for the reply. Just need a few things explained (the brain works slow sometimes). By "staking" I'm assume you're talking about putting small dints in the top of the arbour to pinch the bearing in place? How well does this lend itself to future bearing replacement? Would there be any alternatives? Also, where were you seeing these 'stress cracks' in your deck? I had not even thought to look for anything of the sort.

My son had the same problem with a Bolens mower deck. Went to auto parts store and bought some brass shim stock, cut it in strips to fit around the outside of the bearing and taped bearing into place. It made for a snug fit. No wobble yet but keeping fingers crossed.

Shimming the bearing sounds like a good idea. Since I have everything apart..I was wondering what the purpose of the foam gasket is that's sandwiched between the upper and lower arbour housings? Having lost the local dealer in my hometown, "oopses" become more troublesome. Do any of you have an extra self locking ring they might be able to spare? It's the small 'splined washer like' piece at the bottom of the arbour assemly which holds the blade adapter in place. Mine went flying off on me and there's no way I'll find it in my garage. If not...that's ok, I;ll have to find an alternate source.

Buy some bearing mount loctight. This is the green stuff and works good if there is only a couple thou. over. To take apart just give a little heat.

That loctite sounds like a good idea. I'll have to check at the local hardware to see if they carry it.