Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

gjh

Need mulching blade for Homelite T12

gjh
Hello: I'm looking for a mulching (Gator) blades for my Homelite T12 aka AC 3412 with a 48" deck. It's a right hand discharge so I think the blades would be different than a standard Simplicity?? Thanks Gary Hamilton Ipswich, MA

dratkinson
You can go to a lawn mower dealer and ask to look through the Oregon lawn mower blade book. In the front is an index of blades by length, rotation direction, and type. If your blade exists, the index will point you to a page by manufacturer and machine that uses that blade. If you don't find your blade, you can have it custom made. I think the minimum order on custom sizes is 100 units. At least that is what I was told when I asked the same question. /r David

JR
My supplier's catalog list a couple of different 48" right hand cut Gator blades for Simplicity/AC. If I knew what the OEM part # (Simplicity/AC)was for your existing blades, I could tell you if there is a Gator version. Or if you could give me a description (length, center hole size, formed or flat, etc.), I might be able to go by that.

PhanDad
John, The part number for the 48" deck blade is 1607369. Part number for the 42" deck blade is 1607536. I'm looking for a Gator blade for the 42" deck. Both original blades have a "tight" 7/8" dia center hole. The blades mount using this hole. The blades also have 2 "tight" 13/32" holes at 2 9/16" dia. By "tight" I mean the hole diameters are slightly smaller than the dimension given based on trying to pass a drill bit thru the holes. The length of the 48" deck blade is 16 13/16"; the 42" deck blade is 15 3/16" dia. Note: Length measurements are my measurements of straight length of my Homelite blades.

PhanDad
Just ordered a set of #90-938 Gator blades for my 42" Homelite deck (A/C right discharge). The #90-938 blades have a 3/4" mounting hole rather than the 7/8" required hole. I'll get the hole enlarged and since they're the same length, they should work fine. They are a little heavier than the OEM blades. Gary, If you're interested in doing the same thing, Gator part #90-940 is very close to your OEM blade. The Gator is 1/16" shorter (17" vs 17 1/16" for OEM). The Gator blade also has the 3/4" hole which you'll have to enlarge to 7/8". Note: length measurements are diagonal as listed in Oregon Blade Guide.

gjh
Thanks Bill: Where did you get them from & how $? I am actually running a 48" deck from a T16 parts machine I picked up. By the way, I have some T16 parts avail if you are interested, My orig 42" deck is in v good condition, other than I scabbed two arbors off, but the deck is solid. Also have a T16 later style AC chassis, & all the tin. Keeping the rear & Vickers for backup. I'd really like to get rid of the chassis & stuff, but I know shipping is a problem. Nice looking T12, what attachments do you have? I have a lead on another T16 parts machine with lots of attachments (blower, deck, chains) I don't need if you are interested; I was looking to up my 12 hp to a 16. Great machines aren't they!

PhanDad
Gary, Ordered the Gators at Jacks Small Engine - $13.63 each. They were also available at rcpw.com for about $1 more. As to the "spare parts" - I picked up an A/C Homelite T-10 this spring for the 42" deck and spare parts (like the front PTO), so I have the same problem as you, what to do with the "extras". Dutch was messin' with a Homelite last year, he might be interested, but like you say shipping is an issue.

gjh
Bill: How do the blades work? Did you block off the chute to keep the clippings under the deck? I have a 2 x 4 I cut to fill the opening I attach through the top of the deck where the guard would go. My toro mulching push mower has a curved piece that blocks the chute. It really mulches nice & in as much as the Homelite does a nice cut, the wife wants to go over the lawn with the mulcher every other time. I think the 90-940 should work, I'll call Jacks.

PhanDad
Gary, Just ordered the blades so I can't tell you how they work. Folks here seem to like them, so for the 42" deck I'm refurbishing I decided I'd try the Gator blades. At this point I don't plan to block the chute opening - just planing on the Gators providing more finely cut grass than stock blades.