Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need hydro help with my Johnny Cash "3316H" w/pics

Orange

Hello, after over three years of collecting parts, I've finally turned my hood, frame, and rear end from an old 3310H back into a tractor. I drove it this morning and except for some creeping backward while in neutral, the tranny worked well. I could climb pretty steep hills and the hydropump and tranny did fine. I had not changed the fluid or hydro pump filter yet so I thought that would be a good idea. It had a NAPA 1037 screw-on filter on it and whatever fluid it had come with. I put on a new Baldwin 1063 filter and new Dexron/Mercon III fluid (3 quarts). I filled it up with tractor off, then turned it on and let it idle while I reached under the left fender to lift the relief valve, I then added the third quart until it wouldn't take anymore. I went to drive it, seemed fine until I went up a hill and then it wouldn't move, just a loud whine from the pump, but it wouldn't go. It also wouldn't go up a hill in reverse. I waited a few hours, and it seemed to go up the hill OK, but after 5 minutes of driving, it wouldn't go up again. It drives in forward and reverse on flat ground OK, but not at 100%. I had just purchased a new 46" hydro pump belt and all of the tension springs seem to be good. What did I do? Is there air trapped? Does the pump take more than 3 quarts? Too much fluid? I hope it is something simple, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks much!

Nice looking tractor .Glad to hear you have it back together after all these yrs.Like the rear light on the rear fender.

Ronald (or anyone else), do you think the filter could be restricting flow? I do have a low-profile Simplicity filter that I use on my 917 with tire chains. I hate to waste a new filter, but am stumped as to what the problem is so I might try it. It should be something easy, but the way it sounds and acts, it makes me worry. I just don't know what in the heck a fresh oil change and filter could do to hurt things this much.

Well, I put the Simplicity filter on, topped off the hydro fluid . . . no change. Not the result I was looking for.

I have a sears Hydro Suburban, with a hydrogear, and it wasn't operating too well. I put new fluid in, the old stuff had rust in it so I figured there were major problems, it operated very poorly so I parked it figuring it needed lots of work. Several months later I needed to move it and the hydro works fine, not noisy, no problems. I figured it was air in the system from changing the fluid.

Thanks UCD and Chris. UCD, I followed the priming steps as you provided and the tractor was able to climb the hill, however it was definately not at 100%. I tried it a second time . . . it wouldn't do it at full throttle. It just sits and really whines. I plan on changing the fluid tomorrow and seeing if my luck won't change. I'm not feeling very lucky though.

Unscrew the bleeder and make sure the hole isn't clogged with rust. If it's clogged, lifting the "little pin" won't bleed the air.