Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

carb leaking, help please

poolshark

I have a A/C big ten, 10hp briggs, just rebuilt the carb, new kit, it runs ok and does not leak when running, turn off motor and it starts to leak under the choke, theres a small hole there with a small 3 blade deal, not sure what it is, have tried adjusting the float to level, and all adjustments, any help would be appreciated, also cant get the rpms adjusted to high rpm, idles fine, just installed a super trapp quiet muffler, dont think thats the problem but wanted to mention it. Thanks in advance

Need a little more input here.. Like what happens when you try and rev it ? Does it backfire ? how high will it rev before quitting ? Will it rev higher with the choke on or partly on ? Have you checked the spark while trying to rev and made sure its not breaking down ? As far as your leak goes, If your sure about your rebuild and float settings, you should pull the carb down once again and clean the fuel inlet and seat then install new fuel line and filter before fuel gets back to the carb.

no backfiring, can adjust it to run pretty good, it sputters when choke is on, runs fine with choke open, i have good spark, but dont know how to measure spark when running. i can actually adjust the rpms high but then the idle is too high. for the leak: just put new fuel lines, and a new low restiction fuel filter on. im thinking maybe the new float needle might not seat correctly, im going to try installing the old float needle, the carb was working fine before the rebuild, no leaks, i cant have a machine that leaks fuel, fire danger is extremely high here, thats why i got the super trapp quiet muffler, for fire suppression. Thanks

I think this is a 2 piece flojet?If so they are very prone to a drip.Where the main nozzle goes thru the bowl this has to be tight so the gas in the bowl can't leak out to the intake air horn.A small o ring is usually installed at the base of the tapered main jet nozzle.

Mine leaks too, mine leaks out of the jet when not running, Thinking if it acts up again to get a new one, if still available or get another one of some sort. Adgervating though.

My 12hp Briggs has a Flo Jet that has leaked for a long time, even since rebuilding. It usually is the jet. I just put a $3 fuel shut off in the line. It doesn't leak when the machine is running, so why spend all the $ to replace it?

Keith is right about the main jet or nozzle being prone to leaking at its seat. Pat Rarick explains the problem and the fixes for it in this topic: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=14856

Do like I have been doing on my AC713S. I put one of the plastic B/S inline shut-off valves in the fuel line. I shut the valve off a few seconds before I shut down the engine to make sure there is not enough fuel in the line to make the carb overflow and drip. I am using the three bolt carb from a B10 on my 13 Hp B/S engine.

If it is a minor leak, I would just go with a $3 to $4 fuel shut-off valve. It is alot cheaper and alot less agravating than to tear the carb. apart again. Just my opinion.:D

Put the shut off valve on it. My 3410 dripped after 2 rebuilds,so I bought a new carb for it. It also dripped after shutting down,so I put the fuel shutoff on it.

A few of the guys said the carb doesn't leak when it is running.This is not true the gas in the air horn is being sucked into the engine,the drip is so minor in nature it doesn't effect the running or tune of the engine but it always leaks.

i have a fuel shut off, but having a gas leak is not acceptable, fire danger is extreme here, theres too many things that happen running these tractors where you have to immediately shut it down, ive got a few things to try, so hopefully ill get it figured out soon, thanks for the ideas

Keith, My needle valve may leak slightly when running, but leaks slower than the engine uses fuel at idle, therefore the carb does not leak gas anywhere when running. It leaks only when the engine is shut off and allowed to sit for a while. The fuel level in the bowl will slowly rise till the bowl overflows. Since the first carb that I had on this tractor leaked enough to flood the engine after running a few minutes, and I couldn't get the leak stopped, I replaced the carb and checked everything.

well i tried and tried and tried, 2 carb rebuild kits, had that carb apart atleast 50-60 times, got the leak to slow down, used rubbing compound trying to clean up the float needle seat, and the main jet or nozzle seat, but the thing still leaks, so i gave up and took the carb to a pro shop, they say they can fix it, will pressure test etc.. its cheaper taking the carb in, i have a stripped thread, which napa sells the healy coil kit for 45.00, ill let you guys know the results when i get it back. thanks again for all the ideas.

There are those who want it right and there are those who want to "Just " get by. Pick your POISON. I fix these carbs al the time. I use a bore scope an a Mity presure/vac gage . Have't had one leak if ti was not cracked. Need one fixed PM me.

Hmmmm, None of My Kohlers have this leaky carb problem...:D:D:DSeems alot of those Briggs have that problem[:0] LoL

My Landlord 12hp Briggs had this problem a well. To solve the slow drip i had to lightly sand off the pits in the carb as much as possable, it had set out and pitted bad. These pits ever so small will leack gas around the 2 peace contact points, mostly on the inside lip of the bowl. Also the tractor setting out collected water in the bowl and had froze and ever so slightly worped or bent it so it would not tighten up a smooth seal. After sanding and polishing the contact point on the uper and lower parts i used a gas resisent sealent on the new gasket and it stoped leaking. Like you I had done about everything possable then showed it to my small motor friends around here and they all said it was trash get a new one. Well its not dripped for about one year now. My shop is attached to my house and if there is any smell my wife can smell it is the smell of one drip of gas in my shop for shure.

Right under the air cleaner on my 1976 Homelite Briggs is the carb and another small round thing (not sure what it is, I don't know much about motors). On the bottom of the small round thing there is a nipple that looks like it should have a hose hooked to it with a hose clamp. However there is nothing attached to it, or anything hanging around that might have been. But lately I notice when I shut the mower off it leaks fuel out of that nipple. It never did it before, and now it does (within the last week or so.) The only thing I did was run some carb cleaner through the engine and now it leaks. What could be the problem. And if anyone knows, what exactly is the round piece hanging beside the carb. I can't see where fuel is run into it. The fuel line goes into the carb. Let me know. Thanks. Clark

Hmmmmmm...... Those briggs just never work right;)....Guess my name stands for what i believe in}:):p KohlerMan

I put some teflon tape on the threads of the jet. No more drip, just be careful not to get teflon up in the jet when you work on it.