Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

**%^#$@#$&* MICE[:(!]

comet66

I swear I've never seen anything like it! I picked up a nice Wheel Horse C160 hydro that the wife wants to keep around for "dragin her wagin" for yard chores. But I swear within an hour of parking it in the shed the engine cowl is full of mouse nest. Every time she starts it up the stuff starts blowing out of the shroud and I have to take it off to clean it.:(!:(! They don't get into anything else we use regularly. I'm afraid if I try to screen the openings it will restrict the air flow too much.:( Have any of you found a solution to this problem?? Thanks for any help you can offer!

I have several machines and autos in my garage. Luckilly I also have an outside cat that likes to show me her kills. so I know she is doing her job. I recommend adopting a cat and feeding her outside, Well worth the cost of occasional cat food.

mouse trapps work great, i use the cheap board ones with peanut butter, i also have a couple tin cats, use peanut butter there too, and a mouse feeding station, another good one is boothill mouse bait, it dehydrates them so they dont stink if your home is infested, all of these have worked great for me.

Well, I donno much about the IQ level of mice, but if they don't get into your other tractors, maybe the REAL problem is the one they like does,t belong parked in the same shed with the rest:o)

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Well, I donno much about the IQ level of mice, but if they don't get into your other tractors, maybe the REAL problem is the one they like does,t belong parked in the same shed with the rest:o)
I agree with Marty on this one,LOL Maybe the right fix would be to bring that Wheel Horse over here and take one of my Simplicity's back to fill the parking spot...My Wheel Horse's are getting out numbered...

Marty may have hit on it. I use Moth Balls in my old cars and camper and they seem to work for me, I also put them under the Motorcycle cover in the winter. Have tried the cat system, but I live on a very busy road and they don't last long. We have a lot of coyotes as well but the cars seem to get the cats first. Maybe I'll try some 1/4 inch screen. I don't know why they seem to be drawn to this engine but it sure is a pain in the neck.

Strange mouse story. I brought the trailing rotary gang mowers home from GOTO on Sunday and hooked them up and mowed with them for the first time on Monday. One of the units broke a belt just before I finished so today I removed the deck and covers. There, between the left and center pulley was a mouse nest filled with pink little mice. As I removed the cover on the other side, out scurries mother. Did she and her brood make the trip to NY and back and survive the mowing? Were the young delivered along the way, or did she manage to build her nest and have her young in the 40 hours since I mowed? It's hard to imagine little mice riding around in a running mower deck for 2 1/2 hours!

HI, My brother has a similar problem, he is going to try putting a cloth bag of moth balls on the flywheel screen when he puts it in the shed. I don't know how he is going to get them or if the moths will object, but he intends to try it. Al Eden

Use about half cup of Auto anti freeze and and about 1 teaspoon sugar. Critters love it and it makes their life rather short after they drink it. I got that tip from a farmer and it worked for me.