Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Guys, Help...12hp crank in 14hp engine??

fireballv8

A friend of mine has a Cub Cadet (about a 80 model), the original engine is trash, but the crank is good. He has a running 14hp kohler. Could you switch the crank and lower the engine mounts to make it work?

Mike, A 12 Hp crank is lighter than a 14 Hp crank. I thought about doing the same thing, till I found this out. The 12 is lighter, but a 14 and 16 crank are the same. If you use the 12 crank with a heavier 14 piston the engine will be very out of balance and could cause a rod to break. I don't know what you mean about lowering the mounts. The 12 Hp and the 14 Hp engines are the same on the outside and will interchange.

THis kinda goes along a questoin i had..Can i rebuild a 12 using the 12 crank and a 14 piston(or a piston thats the same diameter as a 14)? or will i get the out of balance problem???

If you are planning to bore a 12 to a 14 piston, then you should use a 14 crank and rod. This way everything will be in balance. If you stay with a 12 piston, you can go to .030 oversize because the oversize pistons are the same weight as stock pistons. A 12 crank and a 14 crank are basically the same, but a 12 crank has been machined to remove metal and lighten it. I have heard of people who weld on plates to make a 12 crank the same as a 14. It must be a very good welding job because if the weld comes loose it can ruin the engine.

The oil sump seems to be deeper, when you sit the engine in the bay and it is sitting on the mounts as it should the crank centers are about 1" different. THis 14hp engine came from a toro greens mower. It is clearly stickered 14hp and the cub cadet mower is clearly a 12 hp. any ideas?

I'm not sure about a Toro. I know that a Kohler from a Cub Cadet is an entirely different casting than a Kohler from a Simplicity. Not just a matter of swapping oil pans. They won't swap. I have both.

I believe the Kohler "A" blocks have two different pans available. One is a deep sump like on Cub Cadets and the other is a sha;low sump like used on Wheel Horses. I swapped a Block from a Cadet to a Wheel Horse using the Wheel Horse pan so it would fit. To do so I had to trim off part of the oil dipper to make it clear the shallow pan.

According to a friend of mine, Kohler makes three different oil dippers for these engines. Use depends on oil pan configuration.