Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mbrook

A sense of accomplishment

Recommended Posts

mbrook
I picked up a B-210 that the previous owner had split the transmission to repair the shift fork from being stuck in gear.(If only he had known how easy of a fix that could have been). When he reassembled it he did something wrong and it was "locked up". It wasn't in gear and wasn't about to move. This weekend I took it apart and tried to figure out what was wrong. Well in the process of splitting the case I had gears coming out everywhere. This was my first time tearing into one of these and I was baffled. I cleaned everything up and laid it out on the bench started putting it back together one piece at a time. With the handy repair manual at my side I put it back together. After having it all together I checked the bench to make sure there wasn't any left over parts. Unfortunatly I found one, a small snap ring. Now I had to figure out where it went. I looked at the book, I looked at the transmission and thought "oh @#%*". The second shaft that is put in, the output shaft has one on the bottom. I took it apart and sure enough thats where it went. I put it on and reassembled the transmission and bench tested it. All seemed to work good. Installed it on the tractor and reassebled everything else. Time for a test drive. It worked, no grinding no slipping. I was so pleased to get it to work. Also I would like to thank all on this site for the wealth of knowledge here. If I didn't read and search the forums I would have never even tried it. I think "thedaddycat" said it well in his post. Its kind of like putting together a 3d puzzle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thedaddycat
Once you have done it 4 or 5 times(because you forgot which one goes in first, left off a part, etc...) like I did for that post, it's almost fun!!! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10HorseMan
This must be why a local garage charges Basic, 40$ per hr. If you watch, $45 Per Hr If you help $50 per hr If you worked on it first, $60 Hard to fix someone elses mistakes, Congratz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnmonkey
good job, I feel real comfortable rebuilding mower deck spindles, luckily I have not had to go into a tranny. If I ever have to though, I will feel comfortable because of the back-up help here on site. JH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orange
My day of fixing a transaxle is on the way. I'm glad to hear it worked out so well. I am very tempted to just find another rearend that works and use it instead of fixing one of the two I got with my 101. One has a broken axle tube and the other one's axle moves around as if it is loose. The other holy grail for my is to rebuild and engine and get it to run. Again, with the use of the classified ads and ebay, it sure makes it hard to take the leap into rebuilding. Way to go and thans for the inspiration!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • Mike mac
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Big 10
      Big 10
      (71 years old)
    2. cowfan
      cowfan
      (51 years old)
    3. dynodave
      dynodave
      (71 years old)
    4. WaylandLegacy
      WaylandLegacy
      (44 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

    • SonOfCreepfeed

      SonOfCreepfeed

      Thinkin' about this old girl.

      · 2 replies
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁
       

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts

×