Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tmomrik

Baron 3414S

tmomrik
I just picked up a tractor with a 48 inch deck and a snowblower. The hood says it's a Baron S, and the rear fender says it's a 3414S. I've been searching the site for any information on it, but I haven't had any luck. I went to Simplicity's pub site and couldn't find any info there either. The tag says it's a 9791195. I'm starting to wonder if the hood or rear fender could be off of different tractors, or could this be right? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kent
Try searching Simple trACtors for 3414S without spaces -- click on the magnifying glass at the top right -- and you'll find a lot of info. The MFR number is 990979 for searching for pubs at Simplicity's site.

UCD
3400 is the series and baron is the model 990755 is a 3410 LandLord 1972/73 990756 is a 3410S LandLord 1972/73 990757 is a 3410H LandLord 1972/73 990758 is a 3415S Sovereign 1972/73 990759 is a 3415H Sovereign 1972/73 990871 is a 3416H Sovereign 1973/74 990872 is a 3416S Sovereign 1973/74 990979 is a 3414S Baron 1973/74 990980 is a 3414H Baron 1973/74

stevenj
His tag reads 9791195, so based on Maynard's chart, I would suspect that the model number is 990979 and the serial number of the unit is 1195, which agrees with the Baron and 3414S emblems on the tractor.

tmomrik
Thanks for the help. I passed by this tractor on the way to work, and couldn't believe the condition. I bought it from the original owners son-in-law. It has a few minor scraps in the paint, but I can wax it out and take it to the local tractor show. This guy must have never left it outside. I also have an '83 5116 Special that now seems extremely under powered compared to this Baron. I'm still hoping the guy can find the original manuals. Sure beats the heck out of the $4000 to $6000 I was planning on spending on a new tractor.

Kent
You should be able to download all the manuals for the tractor and attachments for free from Simplicity as .PDF files, then print them out. Not as nice to have as original manuals (and sales receipts) but certainly useful...

tmomrik
I got those yesterday, once I found out to use 990979 instead of 9791195. The scary thing is, even my wife seems to like this tractor better. I think she fell in love with the Shuttle drive.

richp
Even though it says 14hp in all the specs, A lot of these came factory with 16hp Briggs. I was skeptical when I heard this but my 7014s Baron does have a 16. Check the engine model #.

MikeES
Many of the mid to late seventies Simplicities with Briggs 14hp was a 16hp engine with a little tab on the carb to prevent the throttle butterfly from going full travel. Break off the tab and you have a 16hp. I have a 1974 3414S Baron also. I found it about 7 years ago at a JD dealer. Cleaned off the dirt and I had a tractor that looked like new except for the seat. I have the 30 cu. in. 13hp engine.

Roy
Well, now I'm confused. My 7013-S Baron is either a 1690015 or 1690232. I think it is a 1690015 since it is the earlier model with the outside headlight pods. In searching for it on the site it seems it is a 72, 73, or 74 model. But, there is not much info on Barons in the Simplicity info. What is the difference between the "990979 is a 3414S Baron 1973/74" and my 1690015 7013-S Baron???

Roy
UCD, If I look at the Simplicity brochures for 75 &/or 76 the tractors have the headlights inside the grill which is why I thought it was a 72, 73, or 74. But, the engine number says it is a 76 so you must be correct. You have done it again! Thanks,