Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hubcaps

toad270

They have a clip-on grip that catches on the inside of the rim and holds them on -- and scratches off the paint. Sorry, but I don't have any pics readily available...

Check ebay, look at swap meets, and sometimes places like Sandy Lake will have some from a trade in. Just keep looking. You will eventually find a set. I would suggest watching the ebay listings in this site. The are getting rare. At GOTO, with all the garden tractors that were there, I think I only saw 3 or 4 with hubcaps.

If it's hubcaps you're looking for, they're still available new. If it's just the clips, they'd likely be best found used on old, rusty and dented hubcaps that aren't of much value otherwise...

Clear silicone dabbed on a few areas in just the right amount may be all you need. Let it sit overnight. If you have to take it off just slight pressure should break it free. Best stuff ever invented.

There was also full wheelcovers for the 8 inch rears of the small joy stick wonderboys that had an indentation seam around the inner edge of their wheel covers. They snapped on over 3 outward dimples on the rim, no clips.

Most of what folks call "hub caps" are really full wheel covers, as they cover almost the entire wheel. I have a set of true hub caps from a Broadmoor, they only cover the center of the wheel. The rears fit on from the inside of the wheel and are pinched tight between the wheel and the hub when you bolt the wheel on. The fronts are like the locking collars except that they have a chrome cap the collar is pressed into with a small hole to access the set screw. I'll do a search and if I can find the post I'll link it.... OK, here's the post with pics. I have since removed the hub caps and I believe Elon has the tractor now. I am still holding on to the hub caps since they are the only set I've ever seen like this. I believe they were what came on a "Standard" trim Broadmoor, while the full wheel covers and wider tires/wheels were what come on the "Deluxe" version. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17950&SearchTerms=true+hub+caps

i have nice shiny 'true hub caps' on the front of my 7114h. what is the best method to remove them without scratching them up.

Melanie let me buy a set of wheel covers for my 64 landlord at the Goto. Sandy lakes $80 for the set. They arn't NOS, but they sure do look cool. Elon

To remove things like that without scratching, try a strap wrench. Another method would be to wrap leather from an old belt around it and use a pipe wrench or channel locks. The leather should be fairly thick so the tool teeth don't cut through to scratch the chrome. I've heard of this method being used for plumbing like shower fixtures and the like....

John, The last front caps that I removed was with a bearing separator. Clamped it into the groove where the cap and the hub comes together. Then gently pryed off the cap with a large screwdriver. They fit so tight, that I actually caused some damage when putting them back on. I'm thinking about making an installation tool from a piece of tubing that will contact only the small flange. Then they can be easily pounded back on without damaging the cap.