Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oldone's Landlord 314 from GOTO

Kent

Check out all the nice chrome on this newly redone tractor, in addition to his unique wheelbarrow/carryall box that dumps with the lift lever.

Very nicely done, wishing that I had been there to see all of the tractors and they're owners...........BTW I have one of those shusher mufflers in my spare parts box, in good condition too....:)

WOW!!! that chrome is gorgeous, and a outstanding job on the rest of the tractor to, very nice. thanks for sharing those pics

Just noticed that this tractor has one of the plates on the lift lever that Jim has been looking for to go with his sicklebar mower. Didn't notice that at the show. Amazing what you learn from pictures that you don't notice in person.

Kent and Others, Thanks for sharing the pics of the show. Wish I could have attended. The restoration work on all the tractors is tremendous - especially the paint work - makes me envious of your talents. Looks like the grounds were pretty wet, but the weather cooperated during the show - I didn't see any pics with rain.

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
Kent and Others, Looks like the grounds were pretty wet, but the weather cooperated during the show - I didn't see any pics with rain.
That's because we didn't go out in the rain to take pictures! :D There were rain showers Thursday afternoon, and drizzle/showers off and on all day Friday... so much that they were putting down straw, gravel, sawdust, woodchips, etc. to deal with the mud. In soft, high-traffic places there was up to 2" or more of mud at times. But, Saturday was gorgeous and it dried up pretty well, pretty quickly.... It wasn't a hard rain, nor windy, so you could get under a canopy or cover until a shower passed, then go on... it didn't dampen our spirits, nor keep too many people from showing up....

Thanks for the pictures since I couldn't be there. That sure is some nice chrome on that tractor. Was all the parts that he has done originally chrome or is there some extras?

I too noticed that plate on the lift lever. Is that an OEM deal and what purpose does it serve if so?? Mighty fine looking ole Landlord to say the least.

The plate that goes underneath the grille and wraps around the side was there originally, but was originally painted. The only original chrome was strips up the side of the grille frame. Unless I'm mistaken, he welded things together, then had the entire grille, frame and all chromed. Even the "bulkhead" that holds the battery and gas tank was chromed. Marty, that round plate on the lift lever came with a sicklebar... I think it was there to keep the cable in position for those that were raised by a cable, that's about all I know about it.

The chrome plate cost me $300. I had 5 parts chromed, the front grill support, grill,lift handle, tank support with the steering tube polished and a handle for my wonder boy. its the polishing that costs the money. There is a place I found out about in Cuba, N.Y that does it. They do some very good work there! I had the parts blasted and primed, but they don't like the primer on there! so don't do that. The lift handle I just took the rubber handle and stop lever off and pin out for chrome. left the spring and push button in it though. It has take me a year to get this all rebuilt, every seal and bearing replaced. every bolt and screw and washer. I had my hands on it all! Just wish the paint job was better, but it was my first one! Thanks,John

John, I think that most of the paint imperfections that you're critical of -- most people wouldn't even notice them -- would come out with wet-sanding with 600-800 grit then polishing with polishing compound. I've done this with spray-can paint, and you'd have even better results with real automotive paint. The work you put into it is obvious -- and that's what most people will look at! Kent

How many club members attended??. About how many tractors were there ?? I wish I made it also but it was a busy summer. John H

1st restoration?!! Wow, that's impressive, Looks darn tootin' to me!! Great job! I was planning on on stopping through, but I wasn't in the area til about 1:30 Sunday, I figured most everyone was homeward bound. Saw some n.o.s. (neat old stuff) on the thruway though!! Rob