Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 Motor repair

DaveK2

Was wondering if anyone canhelp me here? Was mowing the lawn earlier this summer and the ring on the bottom of the piston arm broke away from the crankshaft. Took the motor to a repair shop near here and they qouated me between $230 adn $270 to fix. Is this about right to fix this and can a person with out much experience fix this easily enough by them selves? I feel the unit has enough life left in it to warrent the amount for the repair but the g/f doesn't. Any ideas?

quote:
Originally posted by DaveK2
Was wondering if anyone canhelp me here? Was mowing the lawn earlier this summer and the ring on the bottom of the piston arm broke away from the crankshaft. Took the motor to a repair shop near here and they qouated me between $230 adn $270 to fix. Is this about right to fix this and can a person with out much experience fix this easily enough by them selves? I feel the unit has enough life left in it to warrent the amount for the repair but the g/f doesn't. Any ideas?
I think that's actually a reasonable price to have fixed. Kind of hard to say if an novice could fix it. If you are up to the challenge I recommend a book on small engine repair to get you started.

Thanks Nick... Neighbor has the repair manual for the briggs motors including my model...was thinking about getting a copy for my self.

Got a book at a show last year real helpfull to me doing the carb rebuild and set up on my B110. Same motor as yours

Here it is lots of usefull stuff in it. This is an older copy I got at a flea market at S.C.R.A.P show last year^ The show is comming up again labor day weekend Gibsonburg Oh. As for Allis manuals I got some from members here thanks Sam and some from E-bay8D Remember Simplicity manuals will work for all but 300 and 400 Lexington SC built tractors8

If you are talking about the CONNECTING ROD you have to make sure the crankshaft is still good!!!!Scars ,chips,mares etc will greatly limit the new rods life.Be careful!Most ros go bad for 2 reasons.....lack of oil or bad governor operation and the engine over-reved.

jk... That is the same manual that the neighbor has. Trying to find one around here bu not having to much luck. I am gonna check out the briggs website and see if I can order one there online.

Is the 4th manual down (Service Manual for Out of Production Engines 1919-1981) on this link: [url]http://www.jackssmallengines.com/serbs.cfm[/url] a reprint of the manual jkmustang1 posted a picture of?