Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bubba_t _flubba

Still not running

bubba_t _flubba
I posted this about a week ago: I am stumped! I have been working on a ladies lawn mower as part of my lawn mower ministry. She said she got it stuck in the mud along the edge of the field. Had to push it out, then drove it over to the lane and washed it off with the hose. Washing only the deck and wheels. Ran fine up to when she parked it to wash it off. She started and drove about twenty feet, started to pop and back fire. This is a MTD w/BS 14.5 OHV. This happened last Thursday, 5 days ago. I went to check it out today still doing the same thing. Turns over kind of hard pops and back fires, never starts. Acts like when a fly wheel key is sheared. Checked that key was perfect. Did a visual for a bent valve, everything looked fine under valve cover. There are no points on this engine, so that's not a problem. Please post ideas you may have. Still not running I was advised to change the gas and clean the carb. Did that. Still turns over very hard, stopping or nearly stopping every cycle. Thought it might be the starter. I replaced it with one I new was good, didn't make any difference. Is there some sort of pressure release system on these motors during starting? seems like I heard that here a while back. Any knew ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Greg

Salthart
I would disconnect the kill wire that comes off the coil from the mounting base or the pig-tail where it joins the wire from the key switch. If that don't help, Then replace the plug and pull and reinstall the ignition module making sure to clean the mounting surfaces and the ground. Also check for cracks in the module. One last thing just in case.. Have you tried to run it without the air filter ? I know the problem sounds like ignition but a filter thats wet from water or oil would cause heavy flooding by acting as a choke. You speak of it being hard to turn over.. Have you checked to make sure there is no oil in the cylinder ? Or made sure the engine oil is not over full ? Good luck

cranemech
Greg, Have you tried removing the sparkplug and then motoring over the engine to see if that makes a difference in the speed of the engine? That should tell you if there is a mechanical binding. Later, Chad

dogboy
If she got the engine block wet while it was hot ,it could have warped the head ,or possibly the wiring was already some what oxidized and now its grounding out.water in the muffler sounds real likely too.

slb04786
A partially sheared flywheel key could cause the slow/hard turn over too. If the timing has advanced it would be kicking back on the starter and turning over hard/slow. Before I pulled the flywheel though I would disconnect the kill wire for the ignition. My 7116 had similiar symptoms one time. It would backfire, start and spit and sputter with no power. I removed the kill wire and it started and ran like a new. I did end up pulling the flywheel though because the backfiring had partially sheared the flywheel key.