Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BIG TEN

Glacier

I just picked up my first Allis. It's a big ten that I got for $50. Don't know too much about them since my other two are a '75 Baron and a '72 soverine. My question is what is the difference between a big ten and a B-10 ? Thanks in advance. Jeff

Hi,The big differents is the year.The early B10 had a 9hp motor in it then they came out with the Big Ten and put a 10hp motor in them then the next year they name them B10 again.And the other thing they change was the decals on them and the grill emblem.Thanks Tony

Tony described the major changes, but there's several other minor changes between a Big Ten and the later, "Bumblebee B-10".... Here's a summary of what changed with the reintroduction of the B-10 and the new B-12: The Bumblebee logo was first used, and quickly identifies these "late" B-10s from the early ones. All B-12s have the bumblebee . . . Model ID plates were first used in the grille, in addition to the AC logo plates. The engine and drivetrain are now painted black, instead of yellow. The backrest on the B-10 is now taller, while the B-12 uses a totally new, different seat. B-12 also uses a new black steering wheel, while the B-10 steering wheel remains white. Both have a chrome center cap with the Allis-Chalmers trademark. A quicker (5.1 to 1) steering ratio is now used. New, heavier front axle and spindles, and wider front wheels with 6:50 x 8 tires on the B-12. New, longer choke and throttle levers make it easier to precisely operate these engine controls.

Are you sure about that steering wheel colour? My 1966 B-10 was bought new by my father and has never had the steering wheel changed. It has a Black Rim, and the white seat. My brother had a B-10 that had a white wheel and a black seat, although it was bought used, so I can't speak for it's history.

Congraulations on the B-10 Jeff. I am looking for a B-12 (something yellow) to pair with my 2012. I probably won't get as good a deal, 150.00 for my 2012 with Hydro Lift, but one can always hope....

Randy I also have a B-10 with a black steering wheel..I finally decided the white paint had been worn off from years of heavy use as the former owner had worked gardens all over the country with it along with his mowing. Maybe that's the case with with yours too.

As far as I can tell from the literature I've seen (including dealer training manuals) all B-10s and Big Tens should've come with white steering wheels, while the B-12 had black. But, that doesn't mean much -- I've also seen pictures of Big Tens with yellow (instead of white) dashboards originally...