Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rusted gas tank...

First, welcome to the club. Second, do a search on this site or on the internet for the word Kreme. That is what a lot of motorcycle shops use to repair rusted tanks. Works good on garden tractors too. Good luck

You can clean the inside of the tank by putting some fine gravel or sand blast media in the tank and bungee cording it to the rear wheel of a tractor and mow your lawn. When done mowing remove the tank and dump out the cleaning material and rinse out. It will be nice and shiny in side. If you have any pin holes in tank Go to an auto parts store like NAPA and get an epoxy gas tank repair kit. They are around $10.00. They come with a stick of bee's wax to plug the holes if you are repairing a leaking tank with gas in it. (i.e. a tank on a car with out removing tank) A piece of fiber glass mate for larger holes, a piece of rough sand paper to clean area with and a pouch with 2 part epoxy in it. You remove the separator on the pouch mix the two parts together, cut a corner off from the pouch and squeeze the epoxy onto the area to be repaired and spread with the brush that comes with the kit. Let dry for about 15 min. You can then paint if you wish and reinstall in tractor.

quote:
Originally posted by Boney
I like Maynards idea better than mine.
Boney, How do you like this idea? Eat the walnuts, leave the gravel on the ground, put cream (not Kreme) in a coffee, then bungee or chain the whole FDT tractor to a truck wheel and have it flop around as you drive down the road to buy a RBT with a rust-proof plastic tank. :D

i would just get a foot of chain and put it in tank and strap it to wheel.use small link chain when through take a piece of wire and fish the chain out then rinse out tank.the other ways work good too this way you know that you got everything out. JJ

I've had success putting a handfull of small clean nuts and washers(not walnuts) in tanks, adding a little gas, and gently shaking it sliding the contents back and forth on all sides and edges. Empty, repeat until satisfied. I am careful not to damage drain area by violent shaking. I have come across tanks that I've waved goodbye to because the rust was too much for my trouble.

The reason I have been told to use walnuts as they are hard and the chance of a spark is nil. After all Murphy I believe lives in my house, lol lol :) Dutch you idea is very good especially the part " buy a RBT" :)

One of the best ways I found to remove rust from a gas tank is to use Easy Off oven cleaner. Spray some in the tank and throw in a handful of small nuts, washers, whatever, and shake it around. The results are amazing and it's cheaper than the $25 bottle of rust remover that the mototcycle shops sell. It was actually recommended to me a long time ago by a motorcycle shop. Good Luck. I've used this method several times with great success.:)