Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
EricD

Updated: Project 725 Loader

EricD
Here are a few pictures of my progress so far mounting a Sears loader on to a '63 725. This is the loader I had up for sale not too long ago in the past. Because it didn't bring what I had into it, I decided to mount it up to a tractor. I am going with 2X2inch 1/4 inch angle front to back and 1/4 inch 4X4inch tube for the cross section of the sub frame. Still fabricating the rest as I go. Hoping to get the front mounts up and operational tomorrow and perhaps paint over the weekend. We'll see how time works out, the trailer is getting some weld work too. The rear mount will be re-inforced and welded on to the hitch frame. I decided to depart from the exact original loader mounting of Simp/AC because the Sears mounts so differently. In this application, to transfer the sub frame and loader to a like machine, changing the hitch will be necessary. Everything else will unbolt and come off in self contained parts. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/1.JPG[/img] The angle iron size worked perfect to fit between the frame and wheels without use of spacers. It also slips on top of the foot pegs and then attachs to the lucky loader mount I got from Al Brown. I didn't forsee using the pegs as additional support but they were so convenient I just went with it. The angle is bolted to the front and rear mounts for easy disconnect. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/3.JPG[/img] The rear mount is not yet attached to the rear hitch frame so you can notice that the main support is not exactly dead on, this is just a last minute adjustment prior to welding. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/5.JPG[/img] I left the angle out the back long intentionally to accommodate a weight system that is still in the design phase. At this point, the rear lift is still operational. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/040819055644.JPG[/img] This will accommodate the loader brace arms and the pump will get mounted up here as well. I'll likely be using 1/4 angle here again and may connect to the Al Brown mount (center mount in front of the pegs) for additional durability. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/040819055702.JPG[/img] Here we are loaded up to travel to my uncles house. He's the welder in the family and unlike my welding, is good :I I've got the SS12 along for final measurements so the brace arms are at the correct angle/distance. I'll be busy cutting and fabing some front supports for the brace as he's welding away. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/040819063438.JPG[/img] By the looks of it, I think the BGB will be safe from additional stress as the angle stiffens the rear to the front (distributes the load). By connecting the very front (as I plan to do) to the Al Brown mount, this should complete the solid support line from the farthest back (where the weight box will be) to the farthest front part of the tractor. Hopefully, next time I get pictures the loader will be a few feet back and fully mounted and functioning on the 725. I really want to take this to Dublin NH next month to show it off. We've got our camp site all booked and this is the first time I've gotten my wife to come along for the show. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/7.JPG[/img]

BrownA
Nice job, Whats a Al Brown mount ? Where do you get one of them ? That looks good Eric, it looks like your on the right track. I too plan on going to Dublin. Herm, Dublin is a big flea market up in the Mount Monadnock region of NH, it's more of a flea market that a show. It's worth going to. I have been there 3 times and have allways either bought stuff there or sold stuff there. Maybe some of us members can have a little get together there ????

EricD
Boney, I've never been to the Dublin show/flea mkt. Have heard some good things about it and would love to see you there. My wife daughter and I plan to camp at the Monadnock State Park Campgrounds. It's not too big so if you're thinking about it, book early. Al, your question will reqire a bit of a story to answer. Having baked my head in the sun all day grinding and working on my trailer and loader mounting, I think I'll take some bandwidth and let the story be told. (Sorry guys I just can't resist) Here it is; The Al Brown mount is somewhat elusive and famed in this part of the State and unfortunatly is quite unique and sadly one of a kind. It is fabled to be a loader magnet. As the story goes, some time ago a man wanted a loader really really bad. He hoped and wished and prayed he'd find one but to no avail. He just couldn't find himself a loader to buy. So, accepting his lot, he decided in order to own a loader he'd have to build one. Out shopping he went for just the right angle iron to measure, cut, and form. He toiled and measured and toiled and welded. Then he toiled and measured and cut and welded some more until finally he finished the loader support bracket (it's the one that mounts under the engine). Not long after he completed his work of iron the magic seemed to happen, but he didn't see it at the time. Seemingly from out of nowhere appeared a wonderful opportunity for him to purchase a fully functioning loader for very small money. Chalking his fortune up to happenstance luck, he jumped at the opportunity and mounted the loader onto his little AC garden tractor. The man was happy, very happy. One day some time later at a tractor show, the man had a few items set up for show and sale. The person next to him was doing the same thing and they began to talk. Before you know it the man learned that his neighbor wanted a loader as bad as he once did. During the conversation the man excused himself and returned shortly with a strange yet beautiful item made from angle iron. Knowing how his new friend really wanted a loader but wasn't having any luck discovering one (and not needing the fabricated mount himself or knowing it's power) the man suggested a barter. There is much to be told in between that time and this, and over coffee and cake this can be done at another time. But, to speak directly to the Al Brown mount magic power and lore, suffice it to say that the new owner of the Al Brown mount came to own four front end loaders in six weeks of having it come into his possession.

BrownA
WOW, I am lost for words, no one has ever said anything so beautifull to me before. I don't know if that mount is one of a kind or you are with your kind words. That mount was available to other club members earlier but you were the lucky recipient of it and it's streak of good luck to follow. I hope you know I am only kidding with my first sentence. In all seriousness that was quite creative as was the front loader mount. Keep up the good work and great story's Eric, Al

Boney
Eric D, Al Brown, I will try to get to Dublin N.H but having just changed careers "which is a major event for me" this week "I will have two jobs for about a month" I hope to get the time to go. I can't bring wifey and the little one as they are going to Tenn. The weather will determine which day I go....hope to see you all there :) Maybe we should talk about this in the "Events" Forum.

EricD
Here are some more photos. I did a quicky sand/paint on the loader and got it on before nightfall today. This follows a day of fabing on the sub frame yesterday. Loader before: [img]/club2/attach/ericd/040718012910.JPG[/img] Loader after: [img]/club2/attach/ericd/6.JPG[/img] Sub Frame Completed and a union is pending: [img]/club2/attach/ericd/5.JPG[/img] The pump needs to be mounted and you can see the bracket here. I also had to replace the engine to driveshaft coupler (old one seen in parts on the ground). [img]/club2/attach/ericd/2.JPG[/img] The pipe is my wheel chock, not part of the project:o) [img]/club2/attach/ericd/3.JPG[/img] The front mount is 1/4 inch plate connected to 1/4 inch angle at the bottom and top. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/1.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ericd/4.JPG[/img] Loader and sub frame married/mounted: I have to say that I was pumped when this came together. It just looks so rugged and I like the idea of it being a rare combination. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/10.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ericd/8.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ericd/9.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ericd/11.JPG[/img] The bucket is part of the next piece of work. It is really badly rusted so I'll need to reconstruct the tin, weld it in, paint it up and I'll be set (I hope). Still might make it for Dublin to show off a bit.

BrownA
looking good Eric. You have definately been motivated with that project. Give me a call, we got to talk before the Dublin show. It's a nice feeling to see a project come to life. Keep up the good work. Al