Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Foot controls for Sundstrand hydro...

Kent
My neighbor keeps encouraging me to mount my loader on my HB-216 with its hydro, longer wheelbase and larger engine. But, to do so, I'd probably want to convert it to foot controls, since the right hand is already busy with the loader controls. He's at least got me thinking about it, which raises a couple of questions... 1. Has anyone else tried converting the hand controls to foot controls? If so, what did you use? The foot & cable controls for a boat's electric trolling motor came to mind, since they're designed as a self-contained unit.... 2. Has anyone tried using a gear-drive tractor's split BGB drive pulley on a hydro tranny? Just wondering, since it would be helpful to be able to slip the clutch when pushing the bucket into a pile of dirt... If I could clutch the hydro smoothly, I could possibly get by with the current hand control lever. It wouldn't be very different than shifting back to reverse on a manual transmission.... Just mulling over a potential winter-time project....

HubbardRA
Kent, I have always used the foot clutch on my AC716 when maneuvering in tight places. This gives me much better control than the hydro lever. In open areas, I usually drive with only the lever. Once the pump and the entire system is fully charged with fluid, use of the foot clutch works and feels just like a manual transmission. Of course this depends on where the hydro lever is positioned when releasing the clutch. You may want to play around with it and make some identifying mark so that the lever can be positioned to approximate first gear or slightly lower when using the clutch for start-off. Just be gentle on the clutch, since the hydros are not designed to be operated this way. By-the-way, there are no split pulleys on the clutch mechanism of any of my four tractors, including the 700 three-speed. By-the-way, in my plans to build my own loader I will be locating the hydraulic controls on the left side so that I can use them similar to operation of the manual lift. This frees up my right hand for operation of the hydro stick. I can trade off between the two hands for steering.

rokon2813
If you want Kent, I can look around. I should have the rocker pedal and linkage off a foot controlled Ford. It had an eaton hydro, but the pedal and linkage might be of some help. :D Only problem you might have is most foot controlled hydros were on the right foot, and so is the clutch on an allis. ??

Kent
I also did some searching on eBay... I'm thinking of something along these lines, and mounting it under the clutch/brake pedal on the existing stirrup, so it'd be in the same location for use with the right foot. I'd remove the electrical controls, but use the cable controls built in... [img]http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/26/10/59_1.JPG[/img] http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2487553703&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Ronald Hribar
I am looking at the lever on Ebay. Was going to attach it to same pivot point as the lever. I tried using clutch/brake while using loader. I did not like sound it made while reengaging hydro. But never thought of putting footcontrol on other side of tractor. or possibly putting clutch /brake pedal on other side.

Kent
Ron, On the new Simplicity tractors with hydros, the brake/clutch and hydro controls are all operated with the right foot. So, you must "let off" the hydro drive to clutch or brake the tractor. The left foot only operates the diff-lock. That's why I was thinking of attacking it the way I've been...

comet66
That's the one thing I've always missed about my Bolens hydros. I just haven't gotten the the nack of raising/lowering the front hyd. blade, steering, and controling forward motion at the same time. I have the same problem with the loader. It would be nice to figure out a fix short of buying a new tractor.

Ronald Hribar
Kent that is a good point about the clutch hydo configuration. and would certainly make conversion easier. In fact going to go look more closely at my tractor now. I believe they moved the safety switch to the clutch for starting, if my memory serves correctly

D-17_Dave
Kent, I've been thinking of makeing a foot controlled convertion on my 620. I rarely use any brakes, I get along with the hydro so good. I don't think I've used the clutch on my 620 or the HB since I've had them. Although I don't think it would hurt to use a little continuous spin on the loader to help dig. On a dedicated loader tractor it would work well,(like a skid-steer) if the loader controls were on left and right foot controls, leaveing the hand controls where they are, since your used to it already. That would reqiure mounting the vavle under the tractor and running dual linkage, but really would'nt be that tough. That's food for thought, ain't it.lol

MPH
I like the line your thinking down Kent. Hand controled hydro's make little sence too me since you basicly have two feet doing nothing. After running an Almaond tractor /backhoe at work this summer, make sure the hydro foot control is at the same level your other foot rests at, you won't believe the stress it puts on the ole body having one foot higher then the other when operating. Think making the foot rest on afootdragger into a hydro control would be a sweet settup. The hydro foot pedals for running the bucket on the old 610 Bobcats sticks in my mind as the ticket but I haven't looked into the reality of using one, likely cause I don't have a hydro footdragger, but I may do such a thing to my 4040 someday. Hope I don't miss out on your progress on this project.