Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

qtown7116H

Gator blades

qtown7116H
I just picked up a set of Gators for my 7116 w/48" deck. I didn't even think about it when I picked them up, but now I notice they don't match the shape of the ones on the deck now. The gators are flat, with no offset. The ones on the deck now have avout a half inch offset, dropping the cutting edge below the surface of the mounting surface. I inherited this tractor, so I don't know if they're the original blades. Any thoughts???

qtown7116H
Just picked them up yesterday, and I'll be installing them this morning. I'll keep everybody posted. I've been debating using them for a while...some of you like them, some of you don't. You're right about the gull-wing blades. I guess I'll have to adjust the deck height after installing the gators, eh?? That's OK. I've been wanting to level it out again anyway, so this is a good opportunity.

Kent
I think you'll like how they cut on the 48" deck. I use them on one of my 48" decks and they work really well on dry grass. If the grass is wet, they can make a mess like trying to mulch when it's wet...

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by qtown7116H
Just picked them up yesterday, and I'll be installing them this morning. I'll keep everybody posted. I've been debating using them for a while...some of you like them, some of you don't. You're right about the gull-wing blades. I guess I'll have to adjust the deck height after installing the gators, eh?? That's OK. I've been wanting to level it out again anyway, so this is a good opportunity.
You may find that the mounting holes are different and you'll need adapters.

qtown7116H
You're correct, of course, Dutch. Can I fab up my own adapters, or is there something already available? It's raining right now so there's no mowing going on...forecast calls for more here in PA, so I have some time.

RayS
If your original gull wing blade is part number 1679916 then the gator number you need is 90892 it is a gull wing blade. center hole on the gull wing blade is 1 inch and the straight blades are 3/4 inch.

Dutch
It may not be the parts guy's fault. Your deck with gullwing blades may not be OEM for a 7116. Do you have the deck number? I replaced my gullwing blades with straight gator blades and installed the adapters to reduce deck blow out. Here's a link to Oregon/Gator if it helps. > http://www.oregonchain.com/OEP/pdfs/OEP_Blades_D.PDF

qtown7116H
I got the 7116 from my father-in-law, who got it as a gift from his mom. it still has the original dealer sticker on it. He said he hasn't changed a thing on it since new, except order a plow and a spare set of blades for in-between sharpening. I don't know the deck number off hand, but can't imagine it's anything other than what came with the machine. BTW I know he has another old simplicity FDT in the shed....I cleaned up the old B&S motor out for him when it started to smoke and heat up...the mice had it filled up solid. Anyhow, after the front axle on the 7116 broke at the frame trunnion, I had him weld it up for me, and while he was at it I cleaned up the 7116 top to bottom. When he reurned the axle, he asked if I wanted to clean up the old one too....what a question!! He really never cleans the machines...keeps them running right, but that's all. As soon as he drops it off, I'll get the details. I'll probably have a lot of questions!!!

qtown7116H
Well, the new blades are on and they are great! Although I cut the grass high, they significantly cut down on the amount of discharge. The only possibly negative thing is that because I have the deck up high, I'm coated in fine grass cuttings when I'm done! There's really a lot of turbulance down there. And they love to gather in the pool, too. PS Is $15.50 per balde a little high? This dealer has the rep of being a little pricey....

PhanDad
I just paid $16.35 per gull wing Gator blade at my local Simplicity dealer - so you got a deal! The local dealer is a strickly "list" pricer for Simplicity parts. I believe the Gators are manufactured by Oregon Cutting Systems and I don't know who supplies him the Gators.