Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Swap-HB 216

D-17_Dave

Since my 212 is my backup work horse and I got a 48" deck for it I thought I'd give it a little help. I put in a 16 Briggs that I have'nt used for awhile and put the 12 on the shelf to use on my 2012 restroration a little later. I could'nt believe the diff. in power and performance. I know I'm not the first to do this very common engine swap, but I thought I would take this opertunity to recomend this kind of repower to any working tractor. Now if I could get this same performance upgrade for my 620 with stuff I have setting around I think I'd go nuts.lol I'd like to invest in a 24 or so for the 620, but I just can't see that much money for the results of an aluminium engine. I just don't think it would last under that type of heat and stress. Anyway, I'm just incrediably pleased with the results of the HB and thought I'd pass the info along. If it stops raining tomorrow I'll try to get some picks of it up.

You can get spoiled very quickly. I thought the singles were fine until I started enjoying the quiet, easy starting, vibration free, powerful twins. Now I'm even thinking about a tight turning, low slung, foot controlled model for mowing and keep the Sovereigns for other chores.

I've been saying for a long time what a beautiful running and powerful engine the 16hp Briggs is.It is not uncommon to see a 25 year old reguarly used one running.A friend of mine owns 3 rental places where you rent power equipment.He told me in the days when single cylinder cast iron engines were the only source of big power as long as the 16 hp Briggs had oil in it ,it would run forever.

I put a new Honda twin in my New Holland Skid about a year ago. It replaces 23 hp Kohler. Minimal increases in power, according to specs. But runs smoother, starts better, and I think even a little better on fuel.