Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

no spark kohler twin

Tom Deutsch

Just bought this tractor (Deutz-Allis 917 H) with mower, tiller and blade 3 weeks ago. The Kohler twin 17 (KT17 series II) ran nice and smooth for a couple short test drives after I brought it home. A few days ago, I tried to start it, it died after a few seconds, then wouldn't start. No scary sounds or anything, just stalled. I figured I had flooded it so I let it sit. Anyway, no spark still. Have put a new capacitor on and checked all connections. Guy who sold the tractor to me said he had replaced the circuit breaker before I bought it. I Can smell fuel when I crank and I can heat up the coil if I leave the key in the run position, so I know I'm getting fuel and I think my ignition wants to work. Here's the scary part. I took the cap off the points and when I crank the engine, I don't see anything happening there as far as pushing the points open. Should I be able to see this process, or is it too subtle for my "bent over sideways in my dim barn" observation? Also, as I pulled the points (replacing the worn out gasket underneath,)the plunger that (I would assume) pushes up on the point armature wanted to come right out (I didn't let it). Is it supposed to be like that? Or am I knee-deep in doo-doo? Thanks. Tom in Ohio

With engine off - key on, use a test light and confirm you have 12 volts going to the coil. If not, could be a bad ignition switch, an open safety switch, a loose connector, etc.

If the coil heats up but you don't see spark at the points, check the point gap and clean the contacts with sandpaper. If still no spart, look for a shorted wire between the points and coil. Condenser could have shorted internally. Coil has to be grounded to heat up. Points supply the ground, or condenser has shorted out, or wire shorted.

• 2 weeks later...