Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Help Beating John Deers in a Lawntractor race

Mr.PhixIt

Hi all, I live in a subdivision and it is haveing a picnic on Sept 11. I don't know why they picked that date. Anyway they are going to have a lawntractor race and I have a Broodmoore 707 from the 60's that has a techumseh:( 10 horse engine on it. Now almost all of the people around here have recent model John Deers. I want to show them who the real winner is. SIMPLICITY RULES!!!! So I thought about putting a piece of string on the governor and letting her rip. Now should I mix just a little 2-cycle oil in the gas? I plan on not using the governor through all the race, I don't want to blow up my engine. Does anyone else have any other great ideas. They would be much appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Perhaps change the pulleys to change your "gear ratio" and get more top end speed... I'd personally do that before I started messing with the governor....

Put a slightly heavier spring on the governor, but don't use a string on the throttle. Most of these engines can be turned up to about 6000 RPM without coming apart. Without a governor, they will turn high enough to self-destruct. Be sure to change your pulley ratios to get more speed and keep plenty of load on the engine.

quote:
Originally posted by Agricola
Just start your tractor and that should beat any Deere.
LOL:D8D;) Should I put a bigger or smaller pulley on it? Thanks all, Bill

Bigger pulley on the engine or smaller pulley on the tranny, or both.... Just don't make huge changes, because of the impact of PI on the ratio. Here's a calculator that might help. http://simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=98&CatTitle=

When I use to race 4 stroke ATV I use to run car racing fuel 114 octane, it does make a difference and I never had an engine blow but you may want to ask others here about that I have never tried it in a tractor. Also you may want to try taller tires for a longer track {increase top speed}, or shorter tires for a tighter track {increase tourqe}. Also you may want to use a older set of tires with less traction if it is a tight track so you can slip the tires around the corners. Clean your air filter. Remove the deck. Without spending money these are the only things I can think of. I dont know anything about the pullies but it seems like that would be a good thing to do from what the others are saying. Good luck and let us know how it goes :) oh and stay away from the Little Debbies, every pound you loose is less work for the tractor :)

I've been toying with the idea of getting into lawnmower racing. My only thought was that the broadmoors were a little too heavy. Never thought well built would be a down fall! lol I have a Dynamark that I can lift by my self. I was thinking of putting a 12hp briggs in it and going to a smaller drive pulley. But after thinking about it, would it bee better to change the sprockets instead? If it's possable to race with a broadmoor I would rather use one of mine. I got four so I could devote one just to racing. Elon

the 15 yo kid next door took an old toro with a live rear axle. took out the vertical engine. somehow rigged a 5hp horizontal to it. the thing flew. he could burn rubber and run like a go cart. only problem was a high center of gravity. very dangerous.

I just check the Brooklyn Fair web sight. They ae having lawnmower racing on thursday night at 5:00pm. I'll have go check it out. See what they are using and how they have them set up. I'll get back to ya after. Maybee with pic's. Elon

I put a 4" on the motor and a 8" on the rear of a 8hp yeoman for my son and the thing will spin the tires and goes alot faster. the only problem is I need 30lbs. of weight on the front to keep front wheels down

When I was about 13, my neighbor and I put a 5 or 6" pulley on the rear end of an old 8 hp Craftsman. The original was about12". It was late in the fall and when we finally got a belt to fit, there was some snow on the ground. And road. I'd push it with him on it, as fast as I could before he could let the clutch out (or else it would stall.) I think he went sideways for about 25 feet before he spun out. That was a bit much, but I think the idea would be the easiest. I think that was the same winter we took two AC CA's down into the village and raced around in a blinding snow storm, until one of us ran out of gas! You should have seen what we made out of an old two wheel tractor one time. Oh the fun of country life! Good luck. Rob.

The new deeres are cheaply made,, meaning LIGHTWEIGHT! the key in racing,,get a lightweight like a good ol murray or mtd their best for racing.your 707 is a ''lead sled''sorry,, shes made too good!,,!

quote:
Originally posted by dlcentral
The new deeres are cheaply made,, meaning LIGHTWEIGHT! the key in racing,,get a lightweight like a good ol murray or mtd their best for racing.your 707 is a ''lead sled''sorry,, shes made too good!,,!
The L-100 series and G-100's are cheap--but its not wise to mess with the non-Home Depot models--they pack more punch than you think. I'd avoid "hacking" on a Simplicity and just use a Murray as well. They are the easiest to find spare parts for and are cheap to make fast.

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
I just check the Brooklyn Fair web sight. They ae having lawnmower racing on thursday night at 5:00pm. I'll have go check it out. See what they are using and how they have them set up. I'll get back to ya after. Maybee with pic's. Elon
Well due to insurance reasons, and the fact that some one got hurt last year, the Brooklyn Fair has scraped the lawnmower race:(!:(!:(! I was so bummed. I walked around aimlessly looking but didn't even see one lawn tractor. I talked to the information booth and she told me the bad news. They are having garden tractor pulls on sunday at 9:00am. If any one is interested. I mite make it over there since it's less than a half mile from my house:D Elon

That shouldn't stop you from building one for your own fun, should it??? I'd go to the dump and find a good Murray chassis and body, and just play around with an engine, pulleys, tires, and tranny. It's cheap, fun, and you won't be tearing up a good Simplicity.

quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry
That shouldn't stop you from building one for your own fun, should it??? I'd go to the dump and find a good Murray chassis and body, and just play around with an engine, pulleys, tires, and tranny. It's cheap, fun, and you won't be tearing up a good Simplicity.
Accually I started playing with a cheep Dynamark. It's light enough that I can pick it up. First I swaped out the two speed gear box"forward and reverce only" for a peerless 5 speed out of a Toro. I also swaped the pulley for the gear box. It was a 8 to 10inch, to a 5 to 6inch. I did find a smaller sprocket for the rear wheels, but that would need to be redrilled or welded. Im going to wait and see first. Im going to try to squeze a 12hp briggs in it tomarow. I'll take the camera out with me and snap a few shots. Im hopeing it will fly!!! :D}:):D}:) Elon

How much time and money are you willing to spent on this project? Changing pulleys is really the best route to take and can be reversed without any harm usually. If you change your pulleys it will require a different belt and most of the time it's trial and error to get the right size. If you go this route I suggest you change only the tranny pulley, to a smaller one, as this will not increase the belt speed which might make the belt pop off. It sounds like you should not have to make much of a change as everybody elses will probably be stock.

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry
Accually I started playing with a cheep Dynamark. It's light enough that I can pick it up. First I swaped out the two speed gear box"forward and reverce only" for a peerless 5 speed out of a Toro. I also swaped the pulley for the gear box. It was a 8 to 10inch, to a 5 to 6inch. I did find a smaller sprocket for the rear wheels, but that would need to be redrilled or welded. Im going to wait and see first. Im going to try to squeze a 12hp briggs in it tomarow. I'll take the camera out with me and snap a few shots. Im hopeing it will fly!!! :D}:):D}:) Elon
Yeah, I've got a Dynamark around back too. The front wheels are seized up on the spindle and they won't hold air, and I haven't had time to work with it, so I haven't driven it in over a year, but mine has the 11hp Briggs and the stock 5 spd. This is a heavy machine too. I did pull a smaller Dynamark out of the neighbor's shed in the woods a few months ago, but the Tecumseh 8hp had an ugly rod end sticking out the side. The body & frame was good, but the rest was junk, the sprocket was bent and seized up, the wheels were rusted out too on it, so I just ended its misery by sending it to the crusher.

Bigcountry, My dynamark is a cheep one. It's a 5-32. Had a pull start 5hp briggs and the two speed gear box. I got the 12hp briggs in it today. It is a lot heavier now. Whith the weight of the engine, when I turn the wheels the frame flexes.[:0] lol I dont think is ment to have that size engine in it. Al though the bolt holes did line up with the frame. I just had to drill them to size. The only thing that was dificult was mounting a fuel tank. Because this had a small engine in it the tank was unuder the carb. I did manage to get it in. I mounted the batery under the seat. After stripping the decals off it dont look to bad! The only thing I have left, is to get a new drive belt and make a longer brake rod. Then try it out. If it goes well I'll pull it all apart and give it a nice "rattle can" paint job. I'm thinking black with maybe flames:D:D:D Here are a few pics of it.