Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leaking Briggs Carburetor Problem.........

LesH

Hi-- I have a Briggs 12.5 HP Vertical shaft engine that has the float style carburetor with the "plastic" float. (Model 289707// Type 0154 01// Code 9502044E) The problem is that it drips gas from the screw that holds on the bowl. I have had it apart 8 times. I can stop the gas flow with the bowl off and moving the float up. Here is what I have done-- << cleaned carb bowl and orfices << blew out using compressed air << the pin is in good shape << the float floats in water << replaced the needle << cleaned the brass seat with steel wool- fine grade- no nicks or burrs << added new outside washer under the screw that holds the bowl on Any help or suggestions appreciated!!!!!! I am not new to small engines and this is the first one that has done this ........ I am stumped on this one....... Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could there be a tiny hole in the bowl? I had problems with a leaky carb on my AC 710, the kohler bowl was made of aluminum or something like that and despite looking decent, when I held it up to the light there was a very tiny hole.

Did you replace the gasket between the bowl and carb? Could it be leaking down from behind the bowl and driping off the bolt holding the bowl on. Just an Idea.

You were right Chris727-------there was a tiny pinhole in the bowl. I put on a new bowl and she works fine....no leaks!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Les, Glad to hear that solved your problem, some of those bowls puncture pretty easily from getting dented, etc.