Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity's getting harder to afford.

Chris727

I've noticed the parts prices are going up like crazy. I was going to put all new seals in the BGB on my 7013S and I had been using my 1999 price list to cross reference for new numbers and noticed a #1685088 oil seal was $7.70 in late 1999. It cost me today $14.04. If prices keep doubling every so many years, I won't be able to afford new parts anymore. A friend of mine with a small engine business says its not just Simplicity, MTD, Stens and others are raising prices too. Do we need to stock up before things get worse?

Kris I hate it but your friend is right. Stens has gone up,Simp. has gone up as well as all the MTD lines like Cub and White. Of the nine or ten brands we carry at our shop I think every one has had an increase every year for the last five or six. As for hoarding parts, it's not a bad idea but I'm not sure how long parts with rubber like seals will last in storage. Another consideration for bearings and seals is a bearing shop like Bearings Unlimited or Albert Crush. They seem to far cheaper than dealers and can match almost any bearing you have.

We've been getting bearings for our decks for about 6$ each. It's rediculous to order through simplicity. Their prices are a little crazy. We're going to try ordering seals through them too. I know from simplicty, they want 21$ for a shuttle brake pad, which is pretty rediculous.

If you put everything in perspective are these prices that outrageous. Stop at a fast food restaurant with a family of 4 and you will be out close to $20.00 and not have anything to show for it an hour later, except may be heartburn and a couple of plastic kid meal prizes.

I buy my oil seals and bearings from a Industial Supplies store. My simplicity takes two weeks to get any part,the Industial Supplies store takes only a few days. Karl

I tried Bearing Headquarters for pulleys, which is where my Simplicity dealer told me to go for pulleys because admittedly theirs are too expensive. The couldn't get me the larger of the PTO pulleys on the RBT's. The one I got at Simplicity, which was fortunately still available, cost $33.

Just finished puting all new bearings and pulley on my 410 deck last week. After a good tips from a club members i got the pulleys from a surplus center for $5 each and the bearings from the local NAPA for about $6 each. Total 4 pulleys and 6 Bearings, the job cost me Less than $60. The Simplicicity parts would have been over $156.

Guess we need to get back to the spare parts pile. Seems that a lot of things are going up. Blades for a ZTR 44 Cub Cadet are roughly 50 bucks. So it is not just simplicity

I had to pay $62 for a Briggs Vanguard carburetor rebuild kit 2 weeks ago--for an envelope with a needle, needle seat, float pin, felt washers, and bowl gasket--none of which fit the engine I was working on--I gave the Briggs dealer the right numbers, and I thought the girl behind the counter knew what was going on--apparently she didn't, so since I opened it up to see if they fit, I can't take it back now. It just really gets me how they can charge $62 for $0.75 worth of parts and keep a straight face and then know that they won't have to give any money back.

It's like that everywhere. Average person has gotten lazy. Doesn't fix anything. We have become a throw-away society. As less parts get sold, the price for making them and storing them goes up. Also, they usually don't pay clerks at the parts counters enough to get good qualified people who know about the parts they are selling. I run into this problems at auto parts stores all the time. The clerks don't know how to look up the parts correctly, and then they don't know anything about the parts so they can't help you when you try to return the wrong part. Sad shape things are going to.

Hasn't your house doubled in that period or a price of a car?Let's face it what the government basis their inflation item on is bizzar.In my business all my costs double over 5 years.

You are right about parts prices and availability. Further complicating things is that newer dealers (at least to me) do not care to stock parts or older model tractors (like the Sovereign) when they were available. This is complicated by the rush to make a sale and service is a question mark. How many times have you gone into a dealer and asked a question that you knew the answer to and rather than the sales guy just saying, 'I don't know', they give you some B.S. answer. I miss the old days of small dealers, housed in an old wooden building with oil stains everywhere, the smell of gas and brochures scattered all over the place. Bill

I think it is also our soceity's fault. More and more people are wanting more and more money to do a job. That is why the jobs go over seas. People buy more luxirious things and then they need more money to pay for them. I wish things were simple and that people could live a lifestye they can actually afford.

Me personally, I still go with OEM Parts. You won't go wrong with OEM Parts even though they are more pricier, it is peace of mind. Just my 2 cent worth!!:)

You are so right bk,thx to all the media, youre a loser if you dont live in a mansion,everythings done on credit now,who cares just pay the monthly interest,sears mtd and home dep stuff WAS SOO cheap!,,checked their prices lately?,,this credit business will come crashing down one day,,sim dosent make seals brgs,it dosent matter where you get them,belts are contracted thru gates I believe,oem belts are for the most part better,stens blades I found are actually heavier and better than oem,,.