Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mongson

snow/dozer blade help.

mongson
Greetings. I have done some searching but have not found what I am looking for. Here's the information. I was given a cub cadet snowblade for my newer Simplicity Regent. I am in the process of figuring out how to fabricate a hitch and a lift system for this blade. The blade has springs on it and an adjustable angle. My regent has the quick hitch. Here's what I was thinking. I could buy a bumper for my machine and modify that to accept the blade and use the bumper as the hitch. Here are my questions with that. Would the the frame be strong enough to not bend or break with a blade there or is there another kind of hitch that I would need. Second, I did see an article about fabricating a lift for a tractor but I didn't see that it would be compatible with my machine. Is there any tech pubs out there that would tell me how to build a manual lift for my machine. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. CM.

HubbardRA
Christopher, I mounted a Wheel Horse blade to my 61 Wards a few years back, also fits my two AC 700 series tractors. I am not familiar with the front end of a Regent. Is the axle and mower mount similar to the older tractors, such as the AC 700 and 900 series of the Simplicity 7000 and 7100 series? If it is, then the mounting is relatively easy. A close-up picture of the front axle and frame of your Regent and a picture of the Cub Cadet mount would help to work out a good design. Also, does the Regent have a lift setup similar to the tractors that I mentioned? Maybe some of the others can answer these questions, but at the moment I don't really know enough about the tractor and blade to be able to help you.

Dutch
Chris, I‘m not familiar with the Regent, but if I wanted to mount a snow blade the first thing I would do is see how the factory does it. You can visit a dealer, another Regent owner, or study the parts manual. If the factory setup is too expensive, or too difficult to fabricate, I would take short cuts to meet my needs. A hitch is nothing more than a way to connect the blade to the tractor. Select a place on the tractor to connect the hitch (like the frame or axle) that will not bend, crack or break easily. If you want to drill, bend and weld metal, you can use flat bar stock (3/8” thick should be just about right). If you just want to drill holes and use clamps, consider using common water pipe. Remember, lifting the blade is desirable but it doesn’t have to be lifted. You can mount the blade solid, push snow and just back up for the next pass. If you want the blade to lift you will need a pivot point somewhere. The lifting mechanism can be as simple as a length of water pipe (lever) bolted or clamped directly to the hitch or blade.

mongson
Here is a link to what a picture of what the Regent looks like. There is a pin under the front of the tractor that pulls out and one near the rear of the deck that pulls out and the deck slides out from underneath. In the front, there are 2 holes where the bumper slides in and gets secured with the same pin that holds in the deck at the front. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/lawn_tractors.php The Regent is on the right. Also, here is a video that shows how the quick hitch works. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/Deck_Rev.mpg

HubbardRA
Chris, I see two clean ways of mounting the blade. First is, as you said, make the hitch hook up just like the bumper would. Second way is to build a hit that goes back underneath and hooks the same as a mower. Either way, you would need to build a blade lift that attaches directly to the blade mount with it's own built-in lift handle. Sears did that on both their blades and their snowblowers that were used on the Suburban tractors. The frame will hold the load, as long as you don't try to push at high speeds and hit an immovable object. I once built a hitch and installed a blade on a 10 Hp Dynamark mower that I had. It worked pretty good a tin can, piece of junk, tractor.