Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Which Engine for Legacy XL?

FiremanRon

I have been looking at the Legacy XL with 4WD and a loader for my new property. Until we get a house built, the main usage will be for landscaping and mowing 6 acres of weeds with a 4 foot brush mower. Which of the three engines would be best for this kind of work. I don't want to wear out a new tractor by over working it. The Kohler air cooled, Kawasaki liquid cooled and the B&S diesel all have the same HP, but does anyone know the torque ratings?

We went with the Kawasaki and it seems to have plenty of power and fairly easy on gas. The only thing is we have to choke it to get it started. The dealer said it is common with them. We would have went with the diesel but I figured it might have fuel jelling problems blowing snow in the winter if it was real cold out up here in northern MN. Also I wish it had down pressure on the 3-point. The joystick for the hydraulics and foot controlled hydro make it a good loader tractor! A lot easier to operate the loader than our 720. The loader on the 720 will lift a lot more than the legacy. No extra weights added to use the loader because the four-wheel drive makes a big difference. Waiting for the company that makes Gator blades to make them for it. We like it a lot. What brand of brush cutter are you looking at?

I would get the Diesel more torque = more lugging power. Also they are easier on fuel. It will use about half the fuel a gas engine will. I could blow snow for 6 to 8 hours on 3 gallons. Now that I only use it to clean my home driveway I have only used 5 gallons of fuel in the last 2 years. As far as the fuel jelling problem if you get your fuel from a Gas station that sells alot of fuel it will have the proper mix for winter use. When my 7790 diesel set in a heated garage I used #2 heating fuel that was not mixed and had no problems with it. I used it blowing snow at -20° the heat from the engine kept it from jelling. I just could not let it set outside for an hour not running. Now that it sets in an un-heated garage I use the winter fuel which is actualy cut with kerosene. still no problems starting it or running.

I personally would opt for the water-cooled Kowalski. Better cooling at low RPM than air-cooled. Also would use the same fuel as all of my other engines. That way the fuel would be used regularly and not have time to sit around and go bad in the can. I know diesels are very good, but I don't like running around town looking for it when I can get regular gas from the 7-11 at the end of my street. Just my opinion. Use it as you wish.

I am leaning toward the diesel. Fuel is not a problem, since I live in a farming town, I could even get the "off road fuel" and save on taxes. They do change the fuel in the winter to prevent jelling. Does any one have the torque specs for the different engines? I like the liquid cooling for the better temp. control. I don't like running an air cooled engine at high RPM just for cooling. A friend offered to sell me his brush mower that he had used on his IH Cub. He figures that 12hp mowing light grass hasn't put too much stress on it. I would have to reconstruct the 3pt hitch that he took off and get new blades. He only wants $75 for it. I think it is a L&S Mfg.

Your dealer should have the torque spec for the different engines. I found this PDF. on Briggs 3 cyl liquid cooled diesels [url]http://www.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/Liquid%20Cooled/3LC%20Diesel%20Vanguard.pdf[/url] Also these spec pages on vanguard 3LC diesels [url]http://www.commercialpower.com/display/router.asp?DocID=79677[/url] [url]http://www.commercialpower.com/display/router.asp?docid=79697[/url] 3/LC 26.5HP - 950D Number of Cylinders 3 Gross Power: (kW/HP) 19.8 @ 3600 / 26.5 @ 3600 Peak Gross Torque: (Nm/ft-lbs) 58.8Nm @ 24000/ 43.5ft-lbs @ 2400 Bore: (mm/in.) 72mm / 2.9" Stroke: (mm/in.) 78mm / 3.1" Displacement: (cm³/in³) 952 / 58.1 Fuel Tank Capacity: (l/qt) Tank Not Available Oil Capacity: (l/qt) 3 / 3.5 (with filter) Dry Weight: (kg/lbs) 84kg / 185lbs Dimensions: (LxWxH) / (mm/in.) 434.4mm x 442.9mm x 501.4mm / 15.6" x 17.4" x 19.7"