Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Jaiden

Looking for info on a 4211

Jaiden
Hello all. I stumbled onto this forum after researching older tractors for cutting the lawn at home. I don't really like the new "plastic tractors" and am looking for something a little heavier duty with that "old school" feel. I found an simplicity 4211 that looks to be in pretty good shape and was wondering if it is worth it to get the 4211 or to wait it out and get a little better tractor. The guy that has the 4211 also has a landlord and broadmore but the landlord has been raped for the engine and is very rough. the broadmore is not for sale. He's currently asking $300 for the 4211 What do you guys think

dads707
Depends on what you are going to use it for. I just sold a 4211H, Personally did not like it much. Just didn't feel like a "tractor".I have seen a lot of landlords in your state on E-Bay, that were reasonable. For smaller tractors a 728 Broadmoor is my suggestion.

bigcountry
I had a 4211H last year, I liked the way it handled, very good turning radius, very good mow quality, however the hydrostatic transmission is not very heavy at all--if you get it, be very careful about how much you pull with it. It's not a very strong machine, but it did well enough to mow and pull my small yard cart with a little load in it. Mine had the Briggs I/C 11hp, I have nothing but good things to say about it. It didn't owe me anything when I sold it. I sold it because I ran across a great deal on a complete '69 JD 140.

Salthart
I have a 4211 and just as Dennis says it by no means a "Tractor" But I have to say I see things a little different about the Hydro transaxle in them. Never once have I had to repair one in all the years I have done small engine repairs. The one I bought was pretty rough but if I was offered it or a new Murrey I'd take the 4211H every time. CUts much better and will last much longer IMO.

FiremanRon
If you are going to mow less than an acre, the 4211 would serve you very well. I have owned an early Regent (which is the same as the 4211 except for the hood)for 10 years. The only problem I have ever had is the set screw on the hydro lever worked loose and I couldn't go to top speed due to the slop in the lever. That was 5 years ago. I change the oil for snowblowing and use it all year 'round. So, gas, oil and the occasional spark plug have been my only expenses.

goatfarmer
I had a 4212H(same tractor,bigger engine) for a while.I would have kept it,except I have about 9 tractors,and really had no use for it.Sold it to my wife's nephew,who loves it.The 4200 series are good lawn tractors,I wouldn't try much else with them.Easy to work on,everything is still available parts wise,I'd say go for it.

Jaiden
thanks guys!! Your great with the info. So basically what your saying is it's a great mower but not a great "tractor" Fireman you say you snowblow with it. How's it do with the white stuff. I guess this might be a good starter simplicity for me. Maybe my next simplicity could be a early landlord or maybe a 6200 series with some good impliments. I guess that can wait until I get that horse farm I've been wanting.

dads707
I also have a 6216 with a 48 in deck. Same as the 4211H, just don't like it much. I guess I am used to the way the Broadmoor and Landlord handle and drive. Doesn't stop me from firing that sucker up every week and mowing with it. It mows and runs great. Same with the 4211, I have nothing against the way it ran and mowed either. If you get the fever you will have a garage full of these old orange and yellow things anyway. Good luck..