Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vari-drive belt

Bonaro

I have a 1969 AC B-212 w/ variable transmission. The Vari-drive belt is about to expire and I know what a simplicity replacment costs. [:0] Soooo, I am trying to find out what the Gates equivlent is or what the dimensions are supposed to be so I can find a cheap one. (I know about the lifespan issues of cheaper belts) Anyone? Thanx, Dan

You are wasting your money on a cheap belt. It will not last. The Simplicity belts on most of these tractors have lasted 20 to 30 years. They are designed for the application aftermarket belts are not. But its your money.

There is only one place to buy a Vari-drive belt and that is a Simplicity dealer. You can get by with using the smaller regular "V" belts from other suppliers if you know what kind to buy, but even then you will probably find the Simplicity belts to the most cost effective. If a belt is not designed specifically for the application it can actually tear itself apart from usage long before it even starts to wear. I just replaced a goodyear belt that I had on my mower for two years. There was no wear on the belt. When looking at the belt, I could that it tore itself apart on the inside. Wouldn't have this problem with the correct Simplicity belt.

on the other hand, i have spent entire summers mowing my lawn with an automotive belt driving my mower decks(48in on the 3212 & 42in? on the b10). They were belts i had on hand & fit so i used them until i got a proper belt & then just waited & waited...

While some get lucky using green belts, etc., on deck applications and for other accesories, Maynard hit the nail on the head regarding the vari-drive. The key is proper adjustment (granted, it can take time and be a real head-banger, particularly if it's your first time, or if the machine has significant mechanical wear in the drive components). Properly adjusted and maintained, the tractor vari-drive belt will last a long, long, long time. Long enough that the initial cost, stretched over time, isn't all that much. That belt is similar to and operates on the same principle as vari-drive systems on older combines and assorted other full-size farm machines. It's a key component and, unfortunately, their just aren't any truly viable substitutes. I felt the same when first replacing the belt on my B-112, but there just doesn't seem to be any way around it. I checked out several implement dealers and/or industrial supply houses, both in my area and on the 'net, to no avail. One of those cases where ya just gotta suck it up and write the check. good luck

I too believe in using the original equipment suppliers belts. Yes they are expensive but I believe you get it back in quality. I do know someone who got a replacement from a NAPA Auto Parts store but I don't think it was much cheaper in cost. Like allready said, spend the money and get the original one and you will get your money back in the years of use you get out of it.

Part# 164080
quote:
The Vari-drive belt is about to expire and I know what a simplicity replacment costs.
How can you know what a replacement belt costs if you do not know the part# ?

I know the price because I called the local mower shop who had to call around to find it, that was a while back and he didn't mention the part #. I asked on here because I wanted a quick answer to my original question. Since I didn't get that I asked for the OEM part # which I then crossed to the dimensions in the chart. Part # 164080 53.1 inches in length Profile Hl Width 1" Height 1/2" Thank you for the info~! ^

If you had looked you could have found the part# to You got the best advice that you coould get but I guess that wasn't worth much. Your are Very Welcome.