Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
grlt1

7016 Stalling when hot...

grlt1
I have a 7016 that I bought last fall. Used it through the winter to plow snow, and have used it all summer to mow. Our weather here in Michigan hasn't been too hot this summer. But this past weekend while mowing the lawn the tractor would stall after running for a while. If I let it sit for a while it would fire up and run for a little while. I checked the spark plug and there was some very light white build up on it. The top of the piston has the same build up. With a new spark plug the tractor ran fine for a while, but then started to act up again. The engine seemed to be running much hotter then previous times. Any suggestions on where to start trouble shooting? I changed the oil and it seemed less viscous then it should have been. I haven't checked the oil or spark plug since I serviced both of them, so I don't know what they look like after finishing mowing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Salthart
Pull the fuel line loose from the carb and allow it to drain for a minute into a container. See if the streem slows after 15 seconds or more. If it does try replacing fuel lines and filter Try backing the high speed jet out ( CCW ) about 1 quarter turn and see if that helps. If neither of the above helps, pull the engine and remove the blower housing.. I think your likely to find a rats nest. Good luck

mbrook
First let me say welcome to a fellow Michigander. Salthart made a good point, but I would also add that if you find you have a restricted flow, I would check to make sure you gas tank is venting properly. While the fuel is being drained into a container, loosen your gas cap and observe the flow. Good Luck

ROBBYDOB
What Marty said. Also, I had a similar problem with my tractor until recently. I thought I had a vacuum leak, resealed the carb and mouting flange. Worked great for a few days. I had a spare carb and mounting elbow (terminology?) (plenum?) that had been sitting in my basement for many years. Long story short, it runs cooler and flawless now with that on it. I don't know if it was the carb or the mouting flange on the block, but it's perfect now. Welcome, and good luck. Rob.

grlt1
Thanks for the information. I think I will start with checking the fuel lines and fuel filter since I don't know that much about the service or maintenence history of either, and that seems easiest to start with. The tractor ran fine up till last weekend, and I haven't seen it smoking while it's been running. Thanks.