Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ignition Problem Warning!

ambler

I put an electric lift on my 7112H. A month ago I noted that tractor was no longer charging the battery. AC output from stator was fine and DC out of rectifier to ground about 16 volts. Took the dash off and wiring connector to the back of the ignition switch was fried. Primarily lead to ammeter. I believe old connector ignition switch had contact resistance and put a new connector and switch in. If you put in an electric lift or have one monitor the ignition switch connector. Anyone else have a similar story?

No story but I just put a elec. lift on my 914 hydro, from a 312 AC. with a few adapation. Had to wire the switch following the wire on my 710 AC that has a elec lift on it.Do you think I'll have any problems. How do check for what might or might not happen.

Ambler, Looks like you use my wiring technique. "No Fuses". That way, when a short happens, it is very easy to find. Just look for the burned up wire and see where it ends.

Kvandy, I would take your ignition switch out and sand or file pins clean. Mine was coated with crud from 20 years of battery splash. Rod I did put a 15 amp inline auto fuse in for the lift. this was outside that circuit.

I believe the ignition switch or ammeter will not handle that big current drop.You will have to wire direct to the battery with 10 gauge wire and a fusible link or circuit breaker.