Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rusty bolts & nuts...

Is there an acid wash or whatever for rusty bolts & nuts? Would like to clean up all before putting this tractor back together.

Kerosene does a pretty good job of loostening rust without chemically removing any metal. I like to soak rusty parts overnight or for several days till I am ready to use them.

I have used exOrust which is a clear chemical, 50% water solution and set the rusty bolts in it over nite. The next day they are completely clean and shiny.

As ROY stated, phosphoric based acid is the best chemical iron oxide remover out there for ferrous metals. It has a high affinity for rust and leaves a pseudo "plated"/galvinized look after it reacts with the rust, yet minimully reacts with the base metal steel/iron. This is also the primary component in POR-15's rust removal products. Tom(PK)

If you read this article about Rusted gas tank. Why couldn't you do the same for rusted nuts and bolts as far as strapping to the wheel and mowing the yard? http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36841 Just use some kind of container with a lid that closes tight and could be strapped to the wheel.

Try the 'real thing' coke cola. After you see what it does too rust you need too check your own screws if you still drink it.

• 4 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Didn't someone have a link to an electrolysis method of de-rusting bolts? Using a battery charger?
Yup, I tried it on some engine pulleys and it worked like a charm!;) [url]http://www.davidbradley.net/ERR.html[/url] I couldn't find washing soda so I used lye. I think I still have before and after pics if anyone wants me to email to them. Paul

You can try this. Be careful. I don't use this method because I don't have to. Be CAREFUL [url]http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/rust.htm[/url] In my opinion, Phosphoric acid sucks. What it leaves behind might as well be rust. If you use it on you hand saws you'll be very unhappy.